Short Piano hinges?

Can you cut Piano hinges to length? I was looking for an 18" one in the Orange box, but the shortest they had was 24". I'm not too sure if they'll fall apart if you shorten them?

TIA

Reply to
Bill Stock

Cut away. They'll be fine.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Reply to
Phisherman

You peen the trimmed end after cutting. I like the little Dremel cutoff disks.

Reply to
George

I used to buy piano hinges on a roll (they're open at 180-degrees) and cut them as I needed them. I used tin-snips.

Reply to
Robatoy

The piano hinges I have seen are made to be cut to length. The only potential problem is the pin falling out. A little light tapping on the end with a small hammer should take care of that.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

You can cut them with no problem. I usually close the hinge and trap a thin piece of wood between the leaves of the hinge when I clamp it in a vice with padded jaws. I also use some masking tape to hold the wood in and protect the hinge metal from being scratched. Use a metal file to smooth off the edges when done. While I've never had one come apart, you could lightly tap one hinge loop with a center punch or use a drop of super glue to keep the pin from moving.

If you glue or peen both ends, make sure the ends are >Can you cut Piano hinges to length? I was looking for an 18" one in the

Reply to
Jim K