Shopsmith - antique or just old?

Hello, all you dust devils! My late father owned a 1950's-era Shopsmith and my mother is thinking of selling it. I have asked her if she can find the manual, but in the meantime I can give you the faceplate info. It's a Model ER, Serial No. R67986, Patent Applied For.
I have seen Shopsmiths for sale referred to as Mark II, Mark V, etc. Anyone know which this is?
Thanks, Jeannie

Try this link http://www.songofthegreatlakes.com/ss10er.htm
That, I believe, would be a 10ER - which is not a Mark version - made from 1947 to 1953, check with:
Brian

can tell you all the variations ever made.
Yours sounds like a 10ER. That was one of the earliest versions, with the open belts. I still use the one my Dad left me. It has a high serial number, like yours. The guy at SUG said it was a version sold by Montgomery-Wards in 1953. That's relatively late for this model.
These are like old motorcycles. Some people think they're old junk, and some covet them. A good example will still bring over $500 at a yard sale, but some others have worn out until they are only used as sanders. If your mother finds the manual, that could generate some interest, too.
The only accessories this unit shares with the Mark V are the ones that fit on the spindle. The 1/2" quill with the flat is about the only thing they have in common.
Hope this helps. Good Luck.
The User Group might be the ticket. Someone there might be making one up to spec - and need parts or a new frame..... for that older model. So there is some worth in older shop stuff.
Look around and see if there are other parts that are made for it. They will up the price as often they are forgotten and are not on the market.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /