Shopsmith - antique or just old?

Hello, all you dust devils! My late father owned a 1950's-era Shopsmith and my mother is thinking of selling it. I have asked her if she can find the manual, but in the meantime I can give you the faceplate info. It's a Model ER, Serial No. R67986, Patent Applied For.

I have seen Shopsmiths for sale referred to as Mark II, Mark V, etc. Anyone know which this is?

Thanks, Jeannie

Reply to
Jeannie

Try this link

<rmelton199

That, I believe, would be a 10ER - which is not a Mark version - made from 1947 to 1953, check with:

Brian C

There is a Shopsmith Users Group in the Yahoo domain. Their resident guru can tell you all the variations ever made.

Yours sounds like a 10ER. That was one of the earliest versions, with the open belts. I still use the one my Dad left me. It has a high serial number, like yours. The guy at SUG said it was a version sold by Montgomery-Wards in 1953. That's relatively late for this model.

These are like old motorcycles. Some people think they're old junk, and some covet them. A good example will still bring over $500 at a yard sale, but some others have worn out until they are only used as sanders. If your mother finds the manual, that could generate some interest, too.

The only accessories this unit shares with the Mark V are the ones that fit on the spindle. The 1/2" quill with the flat is about the only thing they have in common.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
BeeFlow

The User Group might be the ticket. Someone there might be making one up to spec - and need parts or a new frame..... for that older model. So there is some worth in older shop stuff.

Look around and see if there are other parts that are made for it. They will up the price as often they are forgotten and are not on the market.

Mart>> Hello, all you dust devils! My late father owned a 1950's-era

Martin H. Eastburn