ShopNotes complete set good deal?

Just received a mail offer from ShopNotes with an opportunity to purchase the entire 72 issue set, including 6 binders and the "Comprehensive Index". They want $300 bucks for the whole shooting match. Opinions?
NJWG
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Dunno. Pats over the Panthers by 5?
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)
I have the whole set, and all but the first year of WoodSmith. For years I kept them in binders and last weekend put them all in magazine files rather than binders. The binders tend to be a PIA for some reason and take up way too much room. I would consider with out the binders if it were me.

I have both sets too and, I agree, the binders are a pain. The earliest issues, I find, are most interesting. Later, it seems, they start to repeat topics.
Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

Do they offer a digitized version? That would take up a lot less space, be searchable, etc...
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

NJ Wood Guy wrote:

I would suggest a set on CD or DVD with a search mechanism.     j4

How many different "ultimate router tables" or "essential table saw jigs" do you need?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
I get Woodsmith and FWW. I also have the index to both. When I have a project in mind I look in the index and then get the magazine from my shelf or, if earlier than what I have, go to the library for it. My advice is, buy the index (if it exists) and then get the one or two that you need at the moment from your library. Unless you are hung up on building your own library of these things - which I am.
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:14:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote:

I've never built a jig or any other project exactly as presented in any magazine or book, but I study every example I can find just on the off chance that there will be some new way of doing something or some inspiration that might make my life easier.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
I am a retired guy who has every single issue of both shop notes and Woodsmith in his shop....
Now Shop notes has not been of tremendous value to me so I would say that 300 bucks (I got the same offer) is more then I would be willing to pay...
Woodsmith on the other hand HAS has and is even NOW proving to be a great rag.... Seems like as soon as I finish up one project I grab about a dozen old issues and haul them up to the house to browse thru to pick my next project... I have NEVER built one single project however to the plans they give...always alter something..
Woodsmith.... YES Shop Notes... No
Bob Griffiths
says...

Yeahbut you can also build your own sanding station, and your own lathe. :-)

Don't forget the 9 or 10 different styles of clamp racks, and at least a dozen lumber storage systems!
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (NJ Wood Guy) wrote in

The local woodworking club has the whole library available. Better than that, the membership includes folks who have tried most of the plans and projects.
I think the annual dues are something like $20.
Patriarch
Patriarch, is the club you mention in NJ?
Guy

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (NJ Wood Guy) wrote in

Nah... San Francisco Bay area. www.diablowoodworkers.com
But I would have to think that there are some good ones near where you are. I bet a local Woodcraft or similar store staffer could point you in the right direction. Our local Rockler store has recruited most of their part time staff from amongst the seasoned citizens in the woodworking club.
The real benefit from the club is the association with great people, most of whom have a wide range of experience to offer. Some of it even relates to woodworking.
Patriarch
I've subscribed to many of the wood magazines for many years and I keep all the old copies. I thoroughly enjoy reading them and that includes ShopNotes. However, if I had to fork out $300 all at one time for them I'd really think hard. $4/issue seems a little pricey and you could buy a pretty nice tool of some sort for $300. Yeah, yeah, I know I spent as much over the years to buy my collection, but it was only $20 a year...
I think a better option, or at least a cheaper option is to look for used mags. I know used FWW mags are advertised frequently for sale. I would search around first (check eBay) to see if you could pick up someone's ShopNotes collection for about $150. I just bought 120 (maybe 110) issues of FWW for $75 (drive-by gloat), but I think you can usually pick up used mags for $2-3 per issue.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"NJ Wood Guy" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
Umm... $300.00 for the complete set would be a hair under $2.00 an issue. There are 151 issues out there. ;~)
Well, I was going by the OP that said 72 issues for $150. If there are 150 issues that would seem reasonable and about as cheap as you could expect. The only question would be whether to spend $300 on mags or something else.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Leon" < snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net> wrote in message
Your absolutely right....I wonder how old that offer is for the whole set of 72 for $300.00.. LOL. Their site indicates about $450.00 for the whole 150 issue set now.