Shopmade shed windows

I am making a potting shed for my wife. As many of us know, these things must be cute instead of utilitarian. For me that means custom windows. They must be 6 or eight light in pairs. Window will be about

18-20" wide and about 36 or so tall. Anyone ever took on such a project? This does not have to be a fancy window like a double hung. More like a "wall of glass". A frame with the glass panes in it and to open the window you can just tilt it inside 6 or 8 inches and hold it with a chain. Any ideas how to do this? Making the "window" part of the window that is.

I have all the regular shop cast of characters. Hand and power tools, and a decent amount of ability to use them should I know how to start at least. Any websites or book dedicated to homemade windows? I checked my local Barnes and noble with no luck as well as my library. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
muletrain

Cope and stick construction is used for an actual lighted window. For a potting shed I'd make a simulated lighted window with just an overlay over the full pane to obtain the desired look. The overlay could be as simple as some half lapped slats.

Nova

I made 2 simple replacement windows by making the frames out of scraps butted together. Then I used 1/2" quarter-round moulding mitered inside to hold the plexiglas. Hope this helps. Joe

snipped-for-privacy@veriz> I am making a potting shed for my wife. As many of us know, these

Reply to
Joe_Stein

There's an article in a recent FWW showing a simplified way of making divided light transom windows...all required is to change the size to whatever you want.

I've built a large number of replacement windows for the barn...traditional cope and stick is simple w/ either the Whiteside or other combination router bits if you don't want the through tenon. CMT and Amana also make a set, I'm sure there are others as well.

Delta has quit making their line of 1/2" spindle shaper cutters entirely, unfortunately, which is the only place I know of to get the stub-shaft cutter required to make the relief cut in order to make the full tenon. As I have another set of sixteen to go, I'm thinking I'll get a custom one made to match the profile of the Whiteside router set...

But, for just one or two and if you're looking for simple, look for the FWW article--I'll see if I can find and post the particular issue...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote: ...

Sorry, that was FHB, not FWW...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

You may want a plan "b" for opening the window. That much glass in the sun can get awfully hot inside of a shed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And, it was #165, Sept '04...

His technique used separate tack-on moulding on both sides for an interior window. For an exterior window I'd suggest standard glazing for the outside instead.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth