Shopmade mobile base pictures

Does anyone have pictures or know a site, that has some pictures of shopmade mobile base ideas? I remember seeing pictures somewhere of a base that had a flip down panel with casters on it. On my old Delta band saw, with an open base, I kust bolted locking casters on to the bottom of the legs, and it works great. 90% of the time, I don't even lock the casters. I need to make a base for my 6" jointer and want it to sit solid on the floor when using. Thanks for any help, Cliff

Try this link and do a search. They had one a couple weeks ago.
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2006/07/28/wb/

Take a look at how Laguna and Minimax have set their tools up for mobility. Specifically Laguna BandSaws use a rectangular box shaped base that is about 2" tall to mount the tool on. They drill 2 holes to run an axel through and on the opposite end you use a Johnson bar to lift and steer the equipment. I have a 450lb Laguna band saw that always sets on 2 wheels and is moved by using the Johnson bar. It is very stable and moves easily. I plan to add 2 wheels to my jointer and use the Laguna Johnson bar to move the jointer.
Look here http://www.lagunatools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdIDE&HS=1
and http://www.lagunatools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdIDD&HS=1
Leon wrote:

Leon wrote:

Thanks for the Links. I move my boat trailer with the same idea. I don't think I have room to use that idea. My shop is VERY small. I have a a 22" x 32" table on casters, that has my Crapsman router table, and Rigid spindle sander on top, and my Powermatic, portable planner on the bottom. For more that a few cuts, I move it to the workbench.Oh, my back!
Thanks again

Cliff, If you can weld (or know someone who does), see the link below. http://www.teamcasa.org/workshop/metalworking.htm
Dave

I HAVE A SMALL OVER STUFFED SHOP. I HAVE AND OLD, OLD PRYOR 6" JOINTER WITH A 5' BED. I HAVE IS MOUNTED ON A WOOD STAND. I ATTACHED 4" DIA. WHEELS TO THE FRONT. CUT OFF 1/2 INCN OF THE FROND LEGS ATTACHED 2 PIPES ALONG THE SIDES THAT EXTEND APX 18" . WHEN I NEED TO MOVE IT I WHEELBARROW IT. ITS BEEN THIS WAY FOR 17 YEARS AND NO PROBLEMS. THE JOINTER WEIGHT IS AROUND 250 LBS SO STABILITY ISN'T A PROBLEM GOOD LUCK
JOE M
J. Mohnike wrote:

Thanks for all the replys. I think I will try the pipe/wheelbarrow idea. Might attach pipes on the sides, and slide smaller pipes inside, so they slide out for transport. Thanks again, Cliff

sizes of pipe just go into two inch tubing. This has worked for me on a couple applicatons.
Whatever works or is available locally. You just want a good fit. Not a lot of slop.
If you can get it cheap enough, maybe some one inch round stock and some inch and a quarter square tubing. I have used this combo often when building gym equipment. One advantage of the one inch round stock is that you can get rubber handgrips for them. There are many sources for them including bicycle shops. The foam/rubber handgrips make it a lot easier to grab the bar.