Shop Walls: Paint or Panelling?

I've got a basement shop to work with, but it's a split-foyer home, so half of the basement is underground and half isn't. Thus, my exterior walls are half-foundation, half-drywall. I'm trying to decide whether I should panel these, or paint them? I've been urged to paint everything bright white to give as much light as possible, but I'm not sure if this is a great idea or not. Your thoughts?
"ToolMiser" writes:

You will be amazed what even a coat of cheap white latex on that overhead sub floor and joists will do.
Add a few single tube fluorescents in alternate bays and you will be good to go.
Been there, done that, no T-shirt required.
--
Lew

me wrote:

Roll some Kilz white primer over wood paneling, works great!