Shop Wall and Electric

Page 8 of 11
On 06 Jun 2010 02:53:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

The groundING conductor may not be interrupted, but it is my understanding that the GroundED conductor may. It's common practice to pigtail the GroundED conductor, as well.
groundING conductor == Safety Ground groundED conductor == Neutral

I'm fully aware of the difference between a grounded conductor and a grounding conductor. I pulled out my NEC 1999 and see that my statement above applies only to multiwire branch circuits:
1999 NEC Section 300-13.
In multiwire branch circuits, the continuity of a grounded conductor shall not depend on device connections such as lampholders, recptacles, etc. where removal of such devices would interrupt the continuity.
This means that neutrals of branch circuits supplying receptacles are not permitted to depend on terminal connections for continuity between devices for a circuit with two or more ungrounded conductors that have a potential difference between them and a grounded conductor that has equal potential difference between it and each ungrounded conductor.
Section 300-13 doesn't apply to individual two-wire circuits or circuits without a grounded conductor.
It does apply to 240v circuits with a grounded conductor (such as 4-wire dryer or electric stove circuits with two ungrounded conductors, a grounded conductor and a grounding conductor).
Note that there must be at least 6" of conductor from the point at which it emerges from the sheath or raceway (e.g. conduit), and it must extend at least 3" outside the handy box.

FWIW, the same section in the 2008 NEC contains identical language.

True enough -- but such circuits generally supply only one outlet anyway, making 300.13 moot.

I haven't been able to find that in the Code either.
A few months ago, the idea of a "quad in a box" go-anywhere power source was brought up.
:: sheepishly he asked::
Is it okay to power this configuration by plugging it into a wall outlet???
Trying to answer the question myself, I'm pretty sure it's not even ok to be able to step on nm cable, so, at the very minimum, more durable insulation is required.
Swingman offered me a good piece of advice, which is never to do anything (electrical) that you don't feel confident about (and I'm following that).
I've learned even more since he mentioned that--learning to appreciate for instance the importance of being very careful not to even nick any of the conducting wires (which might result in a short for instance), and in installing a panel with a level. Attention to detail.
I was chopping up a few small logs today after the midwest storm lastnight. 7/8 of the way through one, I broke it across my thigh and as I did 14" extra broke off and swung swiftly within 2" of my throat, breaking off like if it was part of an overlapping joint. It occurred to me that I might have just as easily have butchered myself except for those few inches.
Anyway, the moral is: Woodworking, electrical, or anything else--think about what could go wrong before you do it.
Bill
I couldn't verify if this message made it to the group, so I am reposting. Still curious about the question at the top if anyone would care to comment. Thanks! Bill

Top of what?
---

try:
A few months ago, the idea of a "quad in a box" as a go-anywhere power source was brought up.
Can one power this configuration by plugging it into a wall outlet without violating the NEC?
Bill
Maybe nobody knows what a "quad-in-a-box" is? I don't. Perhaps dual duplex recepticals?
Usually electrical safety codes do not apply very tightly to plug-in devices. These devices would be controlled by consumer safety agencies like UL & CSA. Everytime the ELec. Code Inspector comes you would just unplug it, anyway!...LOL
Is this any help?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5YL44
---

Yes, of course. The NEC is concerned with services, feeders, and branch circuits -- basically, everything between the service drop and the outlet. What's on *your* side of the outlet is of no concern to the NEC.

Josephi - You read my mind. A pair of duplex outlets was what I had in mind by "quad in a box". I honestly did not intend to be vague.
Doug -- Wouldn't this be considered an extension of the branch circuit/outlet since it is an outlet itself? Maybe it's gets omitted for being temporary. This same mechanism seems like the best way to add outlets underneath the table of a workbench. Do you think that this is this just as permissable?
I had a question concerning the ground wires in wiring a quad box in a branch circuit (both outlets to be run in series from the same hot). Resources I have found have been vague. My understanding includes that a wire attached to the ground terminal of the first duplex outlet would be pigtailed with the upstream ground wire and a wire which is screwed to the box, and that the wire attached to the ground terminal of the second duplex outlet would be pigtailed with the downstream ground wire and a wire which is screwed to the (metal) box. So the box would contain exactly 2 connectors and two wires would be screwed to the box, possibly at the same place. Does this seem like the best way to you? I can think of equivalent configurations, but this one seems good. Another possibility seems to be to use a 3rd pigtail connecting the first two pigtail connections and connect them to the box that way instead. Which way seems preferable to you?
BTW, using 12-3 cable for my run, every wire I mentioned connecting in the paragraph above would be bare (right?).
Thank you! Bill
"Bill" wrote:

Cut to the chase.
Buy a 12-3 (black, white, green), 25 ft molded cord set, chop off receptacle, wire in a 2-gang, extra deep box with a double duplex cover plate and a couple of receptacles.
Time for a beer.
It's only a silly extension cord.
Lew

Perhaps so, but surely it's an extension cord that merits much more care. Thank you for your patience.
Bill
wrote the following:

Um, why would one extension cord require/merit more care than another extension cord, Bill? Am I missing something from the original thread?
-- Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. -- George S. Patton
On 06/07/2010 09:44 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Or easier yet, buy something like this:
<http://www.supremehardware.com/servlet/the-25248/ACE-MULTI-OUTLET-ADAPTER/Detail
Google "multi outlet adapter"
On 6/7/10 11:44 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Beat me to it. :-)
--

-MIKE-

No -- because it's *not* an outlet. It's an extension cord.

It's not covered by the Code because it's not part of the premises wiring system.

Certainly. As I said before, it's just an extension cord.

Parallel, actually, not series.

That's one way to do it, but certainly not the only way. The Code requires that both grounding wires, and the grounding terminals of each outlet, and the metal box, are all electrically connected. How you achieve that is up to you. A more common installation would be to wire-nut together pigtails from each outlet, both grounding conductors, and a pigtail fastened to the box.

Yes
NO. At different places. One wire per screw terminal.

Not the second one you mention here. Why use an extra pigtail if you don't need to?

Every wire you mentioned *must* be bare, regardless of what type of cable you're using -- but why are you using 12-3 cable? (12-3 has *four* conductors: black, red, white, and bare.)
The NEC mandates that the grounding conductor be either: a) uninsulated, or b) covered with insulation which is green, or green with a yellow stripe. NM cable is manufactured *only* with bare grounding conductors.
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 11:26:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

everything be UL(or equal) listed. Even when we've hard wired them into ceiling boxes in commercial installations the only requirement was the use of heavy duty cord and strain relief connectors at both ends.
Mike M
-- but why are you using 12-3 cable? (12-3 has *four* conductors:

hot and 4 more with the other hot. I'm also going to run wire to dedicated 240v outlets. I'm also going to use it for my lighting (different circuits of course).
I have already used SU to estimate my wire requirements, and one 250' roll of 12-3 will meet adequately meet ALL of my current (cough, cough) wiring needs. Wiring to my outlets will range from 23'-44' and I think this decision will make managing my wire inventory very simple, now and with whatever is leftover. I'm always willing to be corrected, but I thought this was a good decision on my part.
I was tempted to go with pigtailing 5 wires to connect to ground, but that seems to slightly complicate the future replacement of a duplex outlet (since to my understanding, properly done, the end of the wires should be recut). I think I'm on safer ground (cough), or at least more confident, twisting/connecting 3 wires rather than 5. I surely don't want one coming loose.
Thank you very much for your valuable assistance! And also to other folks who have helped me along my road to self-actualization.
My next step is to remove all of the wallboard on two walls. Then I can better-understand and remove/modify the existing wiring before I put up the new. I have to admit that I overlooked the removal/modification step in my planning! And this does not include the 30Amp RV-outlet on the outside of my shop that I am not using. I think I will dismantle it at the panel for now. The NEC doesn't preclude leaving it in this state/condition, does it?
Bill

Why not 6 and 6?

There's no need to run 12-3 or 10-3 for pure 240V outlets. A 240V circuit does not use, and hence does not need, a neutral conductor, so 12-2 or 10-2 will work just fine.

It makes more sense to use 14-2 for your lighting circuits. Why 12-3?

I don't agree. I think it's a poor decision. Based on the plans you posted a week or so back, you don't need 12-3 for *anything*. All of your 120V outlets can be wired with 12-2, and the lighting with 14-2.
And you should be using 10-2, not 12-3, for the 240V circuits. The dust collector can manage on 12-2, I'd imagine.
[...]

It didn't used to, but the Code does now require that abandoned wire be removed as much as practical. There was a discussion of that over at alt.home.repair about 5-6 months ago, I think -- I'm pretty sure somebody posted the exact requirements, and you should be able to find the thread with a Google Groups search.