Shop Wall and Electric

Page 11 of 11
On Jul 6, 8:30am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Oh, I musta misunderstood you incorrectly above, when you said that "tagging of the white as hot" was a code violation. I considered painting the insulation as "tagging".
That may pass in the USA but not in the Canadian electrical code.
Wire markings must be continuous down the whole length of the conductor. That was brought in a few versions ago. White is acceptable for a live line though. Happens on most 120v circuits with a switched light anyway.
Oh, I musta misunderstood you incorrectly above, when you said that "tagging of the white as hot" was a code violation. I considered painting the insulation as "tagging".

*That* is nutz.

Code violation.
Troll bait.
Bare neutral instead of ground. No mention of proper tagging of the white as a hot.
For a pure 220V circuit it may be safe, but the bare is a ground, and wrap red tape on the ends of the white so it is *really* obvious if someone else ever opens that box.
--

On 7/06/10 12:38 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
> In article<i0ua7e$k1v$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Dr.Deb" wrote:

"Romex" does not define wire gauge, but rather a type of multi-conductor cable and insulation system.
10-2 /W/ ground Romex is readily available. ----------------------------------

See above. --------------------------

I have to ask, what are the 120V loads on your tablesaw and welder?
If you truly have the bare earth ground conductor wired as a neutral conductor, you have an unsafe condition waiting to bite you in the ass.
OTOH, if you using the bare earth ground conductor for it's intended purpose, you are good to go.
Lew
HoosierPopi, I think I went with many of the suggestions you and other provided me with a few months ago. The electrical boxes are in and I spent about $400 on wire, circuit breakers, and accessories today!
Hoosierpopi wrote:

That's was I did. 3 on the bottom of the wall on the right.
See: http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/Garage_with_Tools7.pdf

I put one near the back door, and a light switch where one would expect to find it.

See pdf above. I spent the cash! : )

I'm going to use 6-3 NM-B and a used a 60 amp breaker

I'm doing it at the breaker box.
Best, Bill