Shop Vac research

My old noisy shop vac is dying (good riddance) so I'm in the market for a replacement. Also looking to take a step up in a number of categories.

I was going to ask people's opinion here, but I had some time and did a little researching myself. Here are some links for those who are also in the market.

Good FWW article (membership req'd, or if you have issue #163....)

good article...
't find a review on the bosch, but here's a link, maybe you'll have better luck than me.
woodworker had an oft-referenced article though I couldn't seem to locate a link to it. Maybe you'll have better luck.

I tried Consumer reports, but it seems like they're only reviewing the shop-vac, craftsman, ridgid groups.... oh well.

Many articles available if you're looking at the lower end (read: noisy and underpowered), but that's not what I was going for here.

After all that, I think I'm going to take a step down from the fein and festool and go with the porter cable 7814. Looks almost as good for $100+ less

no affiliation, blah blah blah

Be well, work wood, make dust.

JC

oh, btw, if you have opinions on the above, feel free to enlighten me. My mind is not completely made up yet.

jc

Reply to
Joe

Interesting thread over at sawmill creek on that:

is that the Ridgid (Home Depot) models with Scroll Noise Reduction are quieter with better suction than high-end vacs, at much lower cost.

Reply to
alexy

Thanks for posting.

Reply to
Joe

Do you have a Farm & Fleet nearby? This is a great performer at an excellent price.

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Mike Berger

IF I was replacing my shop vac, which I do not use any more, I would go with Fein or Festool for the quiet factor. The quieter operation would be worth the extra money.

Reply to
Leon

I have the small Fein. Three things I particularly like: 1) the noise level, 2) It uses bags (easy to change and the filter doesn't need to be cleaned), and 3) the noise level. Yes, the noise really makes a big difference to me. I found it on sale at woodcraft for about 140 bucks about a year ago.

Reply to
MB

SNIP

Had my Fein at least 10 years. Use it daily, never a problem. Love it.

Reply to
Joe Bleau