Shop vac. filter cover, source needed

I am looking for a source for a cloth filter cover, to use as a prefilter, over the pleated paper filter in my 16 gal Craftsman shop vac. It's not a Sears part. It was on the Craftsman vacuun when I bought it used, to replace the same model, I had been using for over 25 years! I can't say enough about this model vac. The old one still sucked, but all the screws holding it together were rusted out, and stripped. I can't locate a source for these. Does anyone know what type fabric should be used to make a bag? FYI: I use a 5 gal. Shopvac brand vacuum, for chip collection, on my Powermatic, portable thickness planer, RAS, and jointer, as well as around the shop and house, and truck. Thanks for any help, Cliff

Reply to
Over40pirate

I buy shopvac bags, big ones, cut in half, and slip them over the cartridge filter. I tuck them in hold it in-place or use a rubber band.

It helps. The whole cartridge thing is an interesting. Works great while it's clean, works better when when it's a bit used, starts to not work as it gets more dirty. And with a shopvac, a small one, it' gets dirty almost immediately. I run one in my garage -- pick up dirt, cat hair, etc, and it's plugging up after a few mins.

Cycl>I am looking for a source for a cloth filter cover, to use as a prefilter, over

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

I don't know if it would help all that much. You'd still have to have some kind of pleated paper to get the fine stuff, as I think most of the HEPA cyclone home vacs do. I have a trash can cyclone on my shop vac, and it helps me have to dump it less often, but it doesn't do anything about the rapid clogging with fine, smoke-like dust. I got a brand new filter from new to completely useless in about 47 seconds vacuuming my shop.

Reply to
Silvan