Shop vac dust collection

I'm trying to setup a DC system using a shop vac - until I can afford a real DC. What I'd like to do is turn on the machine and shop vac at the same time with a switch on the machine. Any ideas?

Reply to
Mike

Sears has a thingie that will do it, probably not good for big machine.

RayV

How about a power strip mounted on the machine? Cheap and easy, if not elegant. I know it's possible to build or buy a special switch that will turn on both at the same time - try searching archives here or maybe someone will reply with more info. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

  1. plug with integral switch
  2. duplex plug wired to #1 plug
  3. vac and tool plugged into #2

OR

  1. regular, plain-jane switch
  2. duplex plug controlled by switch
  3. vac and tool plugged into #2
Reply to
dadiOH

Mike wrote: : I'm trying to setup a DC system using a shop vac - until I can afford a : real DC. What I'd like to do is turn on the machine and shop vac at the : same time with a switch on the machine. Any ideas?

Sears sells an electrical device to handle this. It has three or so electrical outlets for tools, and one special outlet for the vacuum. Whenever you turn on a tool it detects it and sends power to the vacuum.

I have one at home that I never used. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll get you a part number.

--- Chip

Reply to
Charles H. Buchholtz

Thanks for the responses.

I looked at the switch that Sears has: there are three outlets - one outlet for the vac and two for tools. My concerns with this are:

  1. I want to use several, say 5 or 6, different machines that would all be able to trigger the vac independently.

  1. Sears' web page doesn't list any amperage ratings for their switch - and I'd be willing to bet that no one working at the store would have a clue. I'm planning to plug in a table saw, 13" planer, RAS, etc... I'm afraid that I'd overload the switch.

  2. I usually run the vac on a seperate circuit that the machine to avoid tripping breakers.

Maybe this would be easier if I just had a switch at each machine that would turn on the vac, and use the machine's switch to turn it on. At least then I could turn on both the vac and the machine while standing at the machine. Would it be possible to wire up a 5 or 6 way switch to accomplish this?

Reply to
Mike

I could use this too. I'd like my shop vac to come on when I power up my miter saw. Is this Sears thing simply 3 outlets on one switch, or does it sense when a "master" tool (the saw in my case) turns on, and then power up an outlet (where the vac would be connected) in response? I'm sure this could be done electronically. Also, is it sufficient for dust collection to have the vac run only during the interval the saw is on? Might be better to have the vac turn on slightly before the saw & run slightly after the saw shuts down. Don't know how that would be accomplished...

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I have one of the Sears switches. You plug the tool and the vac into the box. It turns on the vac when the "master" tool is activated. It runs the vac for about 5 seconds after the triggering tool is shut off.

You can trigger with multiple tools by running an outlet strip to the "master" outlet of the switch, provided you don't overload the strip by running multiple tools at once. I think the switch is rated for 13 amps.

Reply to
gw

Depending on how the unit is wired, you could wire the two plugs of the outlet to two different breakers: One for the vacuum and one for the other stuff.

I'm not sure how you'd go about actually figuring that out, and upon thinking about it, I'm not sure if the NEC allows a single plug-in unit like this to bridge two different circuits like that.

Well, since I don't know, I'm going to go ahead and post it in the hopes that others have had a similar idea, but know why it is or is not a good idea. :-)

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

Thanks for that. Seems like a reasonable solution without being too expensive, I think I'll give it a try.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

since you're saving the pennies to get a full-on collector, do the cheap solution now- wheel the shopvac around. setting up hoses for shopvac sizes will be wasted when you get the collector, and fancy remote sensor electrical devices will also probably not transfer well.

FYI, the harbor freight collector seems to work well for lots of people, myself included:

wait for it to go on sale- it's one of their "frequently discounted" items.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Because "Mike" could, he/she/it opin'd:

My setup doesn't switch the DC components (shop vac, dust collector and air filtration) directly with the machines, but I have X-10 mini- controllers next to each machine that control an X-10 appliance module on each DC component. So, just before turning on the machine, I can turn on whatever part of the DC system I need with the mini- controller. (I still need to manipulate blast gates and shop vac hoses manually.)

See

or go to your local Radio Shack and look at their "Plug 'n Power" line of controllers.

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

If and whenever I get a chance to set up a dust collection system in my workshop, I'm going to get one of these:

efgh

You asked:

Also, is it sufficient for dust collection to have the vac run only during the interval the saw is on? Might be better to have the vac turn on slightly before the saw & run slightly after the saw shuts down. Don't know how that would be accomplished...

Start the saw (planer, jointer, sander), wait 5 seconds, begin cutting. When cut complete, wait five seconds, turn off tool. Won't that work?

Reply to
Jim Murphy

Reply to
Tvfarmer

Wait FIVE SECONDS?!? What you think, I've got ALL DAY??? ;-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan
13 amps should be good for your shop vac and scroll saw. Anything bigger, look for a heavier switch.
Reply to
CW