shop tour

Page 2 of 2

Tip learned from a professional painter: To get a _really_ bright white looking paint, put in the 'standard' amount of Titanium White, and 2 units (that's 1/2 of one 'normal' gallon minimum increment) of Carbon Black, for a one gallon can.
The painter's explanation: "we add a bit of black, to make it look blue, so it doesn't turn yellow."
The formula looks strange, and the explanation sounds (more than)a bit off-the-wall, but it does work. Superbly.
It's definitely counter-intuitive, but you put that 'just a pinch of black' paint up beside the true 'just white', and the one with the black in it *looks* brighter white.
This kind of thing _does_ make for some interesting "discussions" with the 'follow the recipe book' types operating the paint tinter in the places like the BORG. <grin>
Robert Bonomi wrote: ...

Is precisely the formula and the proper explanation...many of the formulae from factory-matching will have a touch of either black or one of the darkest blues for precisely that reason. It appears that is a piece of the "art" that the wavelength matching machines don't have the sophistication to (usually) match. (I've found they're great for matching the "dirty" look of old hardware brought in, though). :)
Give me a real pro and a hand mixer anyday--although they're getting really hard to find :(

Ah! Shop Sweet Shop!

Most of us care! :)