Shop Tips in Latest FWW

Page 4 of 4

Yes you are, just a different "party."

I checked downstairs in the box, and the university said I had read enough History and written of it well enough to please them. I suppose you know about 1898, though, of course, it has nothing to with why the embargo - the original question.

You may disagree with the policy all you want, but the points you were trying to score - as opposed to getting an answer as to why the embargo - show a too common tendency to blame the US for everything wrong with the world. If we "supported" one dictator, we should support the next? Even if he's the vocal and sworn enemy of the country you love? Sorry, save your breath for another cause. As long as Castro's there, he'll use the embargo (hell, if he knew it would work so well against his enemy, he'd have created one if it didn't exist) to influence folks like you into thinking he's anything but what he really is - pleased to isolate his nation from a world where people can dissent, lest they pick up the habit. He's already seen what glasnost' brings.
You know, of course, that those living there don't have the privilege of dissent, which, BTW, is one of the reasons, getting back to topic before you slide away again, for the embargo.
George wrote:

Ah, so now pointing out seeming inconsistencies regarding a specific policy equates to blaming the U.S. for everything wrong with the world?

You say that the embargo has worked against the U.S., Castro would even go so far as to create one himself, it helps to keep the Cuban people under his thumb, yet you think those are reasons for keeping the sanctions in place?
Fascinating.

Yes, the Cuban people don't have the right to dissent, and neither do the Chinese. Yet we have re-evaluated our stance towards China. You previously stated that our "principles" prevent us from re-considering our embargo against Cuba, but those same principles don't seem to apply with China. Why is that?
As for me "sliding away" from the issue of the embargo, you may have missed the part that you snipped where I said:
> I'm trying to look at it rationally, and see what > purpose our continued sanctions serve. Also, I'm trying to evaluate > it versus our policies towards other communist nations.
Chuck Vance