Shop Tips in Latest FWW

Page 2 of 4

<snip>

My criticism is on the propagandizing of his education without filling in some needed information, but your caveats below make me suspend judgment, however sceptical I may remain.
<snip lots of good information on nascent nuclear physics>

If you're making a distinction between "The Navy" and "The US Naval Academy" then you may well be correct. My point was about the USNA, and they claim to offer engineering degrees.

Perhaps the misconception is mine. But at Chicago if you study experimental physics one of your possible fields is nuclear physics (http://physics.uchicago.edu/x_applied.html ), UNH has what they call a "Nuclear Physics Group", Tex A&M has nuclear engineeringthose are just the ones I've heard of, there might be others, and I would be very surprised if several leading foreign universities did not have similar programs. Perhaps I'm not sure what you mean by "discipline": are you saying that there are no university programs wherein an advanced student would study nuclear physics as the predominant course of study? Or that there is no degree entitled nuclear physics? Or something else?
You clearly have a better grasp of this than I, but given what these schools advertise, I'm not sure what you mean. By "program" above, I meant a course of study, not necessarily a degree.
Are you aware of Union College's program? Did it ever have anyone noteworthy teaching nuclear physics? Did they ever offer anything more than *part* of *a* course that included content on nuclear physics? That was my point. They may have for all I know, but I find that with all the exaggeration common in politics it's more likely that Carter's supposed "graduate work in nuclear physics at Union College" [the USNA quote] is a bit hokey.
<snip observation on early nuclear scientists>
<snip more on the nature of coursework in nuclear physics>

I've found no source that make such a claimonly that he did "graduate work in nuclear physics at Union College". Now, given what you yourself have asserted about the nature of such study, don't you find it disingenuous for *anyone* to claim "graduate work in nuclear physics at..."? Doesn't that statement contradict what you're saying?

Perhaps, although I'd wonder about the quality of different schools. Is Union College a powerhouse of physicists? I'd love to know what Carter's actual course of study wason this your questions are my questions and they're right on the mark. Until I see it I'll remain sceptical.

sciencefor which thank you, it puts it into better perspective for me>

Very well put. Carter's education could be the real deal.

Well, Rickover was no stranger to political strife (he got his promotion at Congress' behest against the wishes of Navy administration): are you sure he wouldn't wink at Carter's misleading claims as long as they weren't outright lies and in the context of political pufferupery?

Yeah...but what I don't get is why he or his camp feels a need to do the same kind of trumping now. The race if over. Maybe they're thinking of legacy....

That's an even more interesting question...(whether he intentionally promoted that personna with the pronunciation of nucular).

I think you have not read the OED carefully on this one. Show me the example from 1601: it does not have a direct objectthat's an ugly neologism that first comes into usage in the 20th Century. The OED's earlier listings, which you apparently trusted in, are mostly participial adjectives that have no direct objects. So, find me an early quote with impact + direct object and I'll have to reconsult. But last time I did, there was no salvation there for the ignoscentes verborum.
Thanks for the physics history lesson, I had neglected to consider the perspective you give on nascent nuclear physics.

Whadya mean retired? Seems to beat what most recent *sitting* presidents do with their time.
That remark should not be taken as a derogatory slam on the moron in the Whitehouse, his morally flexible predecessor, the moron's father, or the much revered actor who played president for eight years.
hex -30-
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (hex) wrote in

Well summarized. As Harry S Truman said, "I don't give 'em hell - I just give 'em the truth, and they THINK it's hell."

Omigawd! That ought to bring 'em out, guns and out-of-context factoids blazing.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Slick Willy = helping himself after leaving office Jimmy Carter = helping others after leaving office. And I don't even like to talk politics.                Mark L.
Jim wrote:

IIRC Slick Willy and Bob Dole raised over $100 million for scholarships to the children of the 9/11 casualties.
Jim wrote:

Someone told me the houses President Carter built in Florida did not get blown down by hurricane Andrew. Why? They actually followed the codes. Does anyone know if this is true?
BTW 20 +/- years ago I was construction labor. One remodeling job we took out a concrete block wall. The code said that every "x" feet you had to fill in the concrete blocks with concrete all the way to the foundation. The wall looked good from the top but when we took it out we discovered whoever put the wall in jammed cement sacks in the holes and there was only about 3" of concrete at the top of the wall to fool the inspector. That wall never fell down, but it never had a hurricane pushing against it either. Therefore I think the President Carter story could be true.
If I ever build a house, the parts I don't do personally I will be watching and filming.... ;-)
-- Mark

Dunno, but I believe it easily, and anyone with an engineer in the family will understand why. :-)
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:49:41 -0600, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"

He's had work featured in "Current Work". FWW didn't draw extra attention to his work, and it certainly deserved to be there.
I agree with you, politics aside, he seems like a normal guy.
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

Probably the most decent man to ever inhabit the White House (and I say that as a lifelong Republican). It says volumes about our society, most of it bad, that being a decent man is a liability in that job.

--
--John

integrity and compassion. God bless him.     mahalo,     jo4hn
I agree that he was, and is, a very decent man. He was humble yet extremely well informed on all issues. He has done many worthwhile things since leaving office. Unfortunately, he was a very poor president.
Dick

Richard Cline wrote:

I'm another lifelong republican and agree with your comments.
However, I often wonder about the leaders and the times they are in. I wonder if anyone else (FDR, JFK, GW, TJ, JA, ..) could have done any better. I was in high school at the time and usually had my head up my *** so my recollections may not jibe with history... ;-)
-- Mark
Thu, Jun 24, 2004, 10:11am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@silcom.com (RichardCline) claims: <snip> Unfortunately, he was a very poor president. Perhaps. But, certainly not. compared to any of the last bunch.
JOAT Use your brain - it's the small things that count. - Bazooka Joe
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in (RichardCline)

He was the last of the lot for whom I felt good when I voted.
Lately, there's been a lot of nose-holding...
Patriarch
(RichardCline)

Lately, they need to hand out barf bags with the ballot.
LD
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:20:11 GMT, Lobby Dosser

We've got a great choice coming up this year.
Are there any statesmen in da' house?
Barry
Fri, Jun 25, 2004, 8:00pm (EDT+4) patriarch
If I recall rightly, I voted for him.
Now, I don't vote FOR any of them, rather I pick the one I consider worst, and vote against him. "Lesser of two evils", I suppose you could say. I did NOT vote for Slick Willy's opponent, but definitely did vote AGAINST Slick Willy.
Jimmy, if you're on the group, you've got very low taste. LMAO And, if you are, hi.
JOAT Use your brain - it's the small things that count. - Bazooka Joe
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:37:37 -0400, "J. Clarke"

My wife and I were having this exact conversation when I showed her the FWW tip.
I decent guy gets run over like road kill in politics.
Barry
I always had the highest personal regard for the man and his integrity as a human being, in other words, acting on his words (as in his involvement with Habitat for Humanity; not just ON a Board but actually swingin' a hammer at a board!) and not just pronouncing them from a podium.
Come to think of it, I wonder if he ever visits here? (clearing throat) Um, Mr. President?
Brad PS You wrote my newborn daughter a nice "welcom to the world" note in 1988 from the Carter Library; it's framed on her wall.....