shop talisman

i have more than one
can be almost anything in the shop
one of mine is a set of calipers from the 1800s with the fellas name inscribed on them
there are others too
not to sit and ponder their significance but just a little attachment to the past and all those things that were made using the tool
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 09:42:25 -0700

i realize even the shop itself is somewhat of a talisman
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 2:35:33 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

I don't know if this counts, but we've been working on cleaning out my dad's house getting it ready to be put on the market. Last weekend I came across a ceramic ashtray with the USCG logo on it. I must have given to someone in my family back in the mid-70's when I was in the USCG.
I had pushed it aside on previous clean-out trips over the past year, for some reason never throwing it out. No one I know needs an ashtray, and I don't keep any USCG memorabilia lying around, but for some reason this thing never got tossed.
This time I said to myself "You know, this would make a decent glue cup. It's got "holders" to keep the brush from rolling away, it'll clean up easy, etc.
I brought it home and already used it twice this week. Seeing the logo does bring back many memories.
Candy dish with memories.
On 8/26/2016 1:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 21:02:26 -0500, Martin Eastburn wrote:

I've got several tools from the 19th century, but my favorite has to be a Stanley double spokeshave from the 1890s. I still chuckle when I remember the guy at Antiques Roadshow who was horrified that I was actually *using* it :-).
carrying a cross.
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 9:42:33 AM UTC-7, Electric Comet wrote:

Yeah, I have granddad's computer (analog, naturally) that won't ever get tossed.
I think, too, this is why New Coke didn't catch on.
Alas, there's no ancestral stock of Hires rootbeer, today when it's hot, and vanilla icecream is available, and I'm feeling nostalgic...
On 8/26/2016 9:26 PM, whit3rd wrote:

Your granddad's "analog" computer? What? An abacus? Just how old ARE you? ;)

New Coke tasting like shit may have had something to do with it as well.

+1 A Black Cow or Root Beer Float! Yum!
Anyone here NOT know what a Chocolate Ice Cream soda tastes like? How to make one? How to enjoy that extra chocolate by having a little side portion of seltzer to add after you've drain the good stuff from that tall glass?
More and more when we happen to stop at an ice cream "parlor" or "shoppe" we get the deer in the headlights look when we try an order an ice cream soda. Amazingly, we stopped in at a Friendly's down in Orlando a couple of years ago and there wasn't a soul in the place that knew what we were talking about. To her credit, the manager came over and I explained how to make a proper ice cream soda and she went back and then served up two decent sodas. Best I've had in years has been at the Sugar Bowl, an old time ice cream parlor on Scottsdale Blvd, in Old Town Scottsdale, AZ complete with the little bottle of extra seltzer water.

I'm guessing he means a slide rule. My dad's second-eldest brother was an engineer, who had no children of his own, and when my uncle passed, his Pickett Model 4 descended to me.
I use a slide rule in the workshop nearly every day: converting between decimal and fractional inches, or between decimal inches and millimeters. And occasionally calculating angles.
I had an analog computer in the 70's. It is basically op-amps and buffers and ramps and all sorts of analog stuff. It could calculate some trig questions as it is into sine and cosine and tangent functions.
Remember the Big guns on the battleships are driven by a large analog computer that computes all of the angles for a hit on target - on-the-fly and was very good at the job. So much so, after they were retrofitted with cruse missiles, the big guns kept the analog computer.
Just came along before digital computers.
I have a late 1950's digital game that plays NIM with a person and always wins if started first and doesn't make a mistake. It is made from about 1000 transistors and assorted logic gate resistors. Might be the first digital /computer game ever built. My dad designed it, I assembled it. Completed it after college and returning from overseas.
Martin
On 8/26/2016 10:50 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 10:54:00 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

If you get the "deer in the headlight" look for an ice cream soda, try ordering a Vanilla Egg Cream. That oughta be interesting. :-)
On 8/26/2016 11:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

. . .A rose by any other name. . . The "dietetic's" chocolate soda (hold the ice cream please!)

Yo.
I know know whatta strawberry ice cream/7-UP float tastes like? Or a vanilla ice cream/root beer float?
nb
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 7:54:00 PM UTC-7, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Slide rule, wooden, with a patent date June 1900, and granddad's name inscribed.
<https://www.google.com/patents/US651142 note the signature of Willie L. E. Keuffel

Believe it or not, Diet Mug root beer makes a really good float.