Shop storeage question

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:50:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Tom) wrote:

the more room thing is hard to deal with. if I had 1 router, I'd want enough room in the case to keep all of my router bits. since I have several routers, I keep the bits in a separate case and would rather not waste the space in the router case for bit storage. sometimes I want to group several tools and their wrenches and small parts in one case- for example the die grinder and the small angle grinder go in one canvas bag. the canvas bags are good in that they are variable volume- they collapse to about the size if the tools in them, expand to accomodate the extra wrench or box of bits and don't waste a lot of space. the downside of canvas is that it's not waterproof, stuff spills out if they tip over and they don't stack as neatly as hard cases.     Bridger

I think the router is a real problem with so many sizes and shapes of bits. My biggest complaint is my Makita cordless drill and Bosch jig saw. Both have cases built for only what comes with the package. I can squeeze a (very) few bits and screws in the drill box and a small package of blades in the jig saw box. On the other hand, I have a Milwaukee Sawzall and 1/2" right angle drill and both have a sizeable compartment for blades and bits - makes it nice to grab and go.
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:19:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Tom) wrote:

mostly I keep drill bits separate from the drill motors.
most of the drill motors go in 2 canvas bags. 1 has the 1/2" milwaukee hole shooter and the 1/2" bosch hammer drill. the other has the 3/8" milwaukee/sioux angle drill, the ancient black and decker 3/8" drill and the 3/8" hole shooter. I have an ancient cheapie drill motor in an ancient cheapie drill guide. it lives in a drawer and rarely gets used, though when it does I'm happy to have it. I found a great deal on indexes of cheap bits 1/16 - 1/2", so I bought a bunch. each bag has one of those and the bag with the 3/8" drills usually has the box with the spade bits also.
at the mill drill I keep an index of quality domestic twist drills as well as several indexes of cheapies. I have a box with hole saws that lives on a shelf next to a box of hammer drill bits(which would go in the 1/2" drill bag, but some of them are too long...). I have a box with several types of braces and a nice selection of auger bits. I have a box of miscellaneous twist drills that is probably near the mill drill at the moment. the morse taper shank drill bits are in a box under the lathe, which is the only machine I have that fits them. there are also a few extra long shank twist drills that are too long to fit anywhere else, so they end up in one of the roll away drawers.
it's a never ending battle.....