Shop Space Question

Is anyone aware of any businesses or co-op's where a person can go in and use woodworking, metal, or other types of tools and machinery for personal or hobby use. A place designed for the person that doesn't have the cash, space, or need for specialize tools but does like to work with their hands. Any information would be appreciated.

Reply to
andersrick

Some community centers, and Universities, and community colleges will have wood shops available 'with instructor's' consent. I haven't heard of metal shops available this way. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

The local university here has a wood shop where they give classes and let you rent time. Taking one class certifies you to rent time in the shop.

The machines are poorly maintained, often out of calibration, and usually when you want a particular machine, like a jointer, it isn't working. That shop was one of my major incentives to purchase many of my current tools.

It might be that if this particular campus offered any courses or majors in woodworking, the shop might be in better condition, but they don't. So it isn't.

Reply to
else24

Yes. In my town (pop, 28,000) there is a business that does just that and there was an article in the local newspaper about it. The wood shop (it's called "Your Wood Shop") has the basic machinery for customers to use. I think it is a bit unusual when you think about the liability and insurance issues. Woodworking is hazardous, and I'd feel uncomfortable allowing others to use my shop.

Reply to
Phisherman

here's a link to check out such a business ...

Phisherman

The only thing like it that I ever saw was in the Florida retirement community where my dad moved to a couple years back. Apparently not everyone down there plays golf all day. :-) Lots of TLC goes into their shop equipment. Very well maintained. But you have to be a member to get in the door -- and I imagine that it's probably a lot cheaper and a whole lot less competitive to buy your own machinery.

J.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
John

The university that I attend has a shop for student use, but I think they're a bit unusual in that regard (or, at least, unusual in that they encourage using the shop for personal projects as well as classwork).

I do remember hearing of a small car club which had their own well-appointed workshop for members' use. The dues were $1000/year, though!

- Brooks

Reply to
Brooks Moses

You loolking to use such a place or create one?

Where are you? There's such a place - though for woodworking only in our county - Santa Clara - south end of San Francisco Bay - aka Silly Cone Valley. It's called The Saw Dust Shop

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b