shop smoke alarrm

Just about got the garage converted to a shop. Since it's attached to the house, I definitely want a dual sensor smoke alarm. But I need one that I can turn off when I'm out there working or it'd be false alarming all the time.
The best I've come up with so far is a hard wired alarm on a switched circuit. But I'd love to find an alarm with an on/off switch. Probably illegal to make them that way :-).
Anybody know of one? Or have an alternate solution?
carrying a cross.

You may want to consider a "Temperature Alarm" in lieu of a smoke detector. It is the typical approach in dusty industrial conditions. Be sure it is o ne with a "Rate of Rise" capability vs just an absolute temperature set poi nt.
May be a little more expensive than a smoke detector but should be able to get one for under $100. Usually have to also create the actual alarm becaus e they are just a sensor and you need to then trigger some event like ring a bell, call the fire dept, etc. But you may find an integrated model.
Maybe Grainger? Not sure.
On Monday, August 5, 2013 12:20:18 PM UTC-7, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

r. It is the typical approach in dusty industrial conditions. Be sure it is one with a "Rate of Rise" capability vs just an absolute temperature set p oint.

o get one for under $100. Usually have to also create the actual alarm beca use they are just a sensor and you need to then trigger some event like rin g a bell, call the fire dept, etc. But you may find an integrated model.

Yeah, Grainger Home / Test Instruments / Temperature and Humidity Measuring / Tempera ture Alarms
--
Hook it up with a remote that turns off the power. ACE Hardware has some at
a very low price. I have several in use on different things. WW
WW wrote:

How about a volume control? : ) Sorry I can't do better.
Bill

Sharpen your saw blades so you make less smoke?
:)

The problem is that most come with a battery. Turning off the power means removing the battery.
On 8/5/2013 8:05 PM, Larry wrote:

No problem, Larry. Hit Radio Shack and pick up a small piece of printed circuit board with copper on each side, separated by the phenoic board (you can find it pretty thin)
Take a very thin wire pair (teleco wire should work) and solder one wire to each side. At the other end, terminate it with a miniature switch and then encapsulate the switch (just tidying up - not really necessary. Let the switch dangle and turn off the detector when you need to.
...OR
Double check the manual for the sensor itself. I have smoke detectors in my house and in the shop, located in a detached building. They are all tied in to the home security system which is monitored via cellular at a central station.
My detectors are supervised (which means the system is constantly checking both them and the intrusion devices to ensure they are powered up and communicating with the alarm control and cellular connection).
They are designed, however, for me to test them in the usual fashion without sounding an alarm OR in the event of a burned skillet or smoke from a dull table saw blade, etc. I can just push in the test button and the unit shuts down for 10 minutes and then rearms automatically - a fail safe.
Either option will work for me since with my setup and instructions, the central station doesn't get their panties in a wad if the smoke detector goes off line since my system allows for SMS notification to my smart phone (as well as complete control of the system remotely) and I'm notified of trouble conditions, defective sensors and, of course, alarm arming/disarming and actual alarm conditions.
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 22:31:08 -0500, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

I like that idea - thanks. I've even got the copper coated phenolic - I use it for HO scale railroad ties and solder rail to it :-).
Hmmmm - I may have to do the same thing in the train room so the soldering won't set it off. Although it hasn't so far.
carrying a cross.

I don't know for a fact but I suspect modifications to smoke alarms won't pass local fire code in most municipalities. That may or may not be of concern to you but if you decide to rent/sell the property you'll likely need to remove it.
Larry
On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 13:25:30 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

That would also work, but I think the prior solution would work on a battery unit which would be easier.
carrying a cross.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

I don't know how these devices work, but it would not surprise me if a smoke detector that spends a lot of time in a smokey environment may have a shorter life. Maybe it needs a "cover" instead? Or mount it so it can easily be taken down? I think both of these approaches are "safer" than a switch that doesn't have a light on it.
Bill
On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 23:20:44 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

For safety and insurance purposes I would incorporate a timer so that after a certain amount of time it turned back on. Don't know about you but I would forget to turn in back on all the time. It wouldn't be that difficult and I can think of several ways to accomplish it.
Mike M
"Larry" wrote in message

The problem is that most come with a battery. Turning off the power means removing the battery.
Run wires down to break the battery circuit, add switch.