Shop safety advice

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:58:48 -0700, Larry Jaques

It slid very slowly across three fingertips as it slipped off the shelf - it wasn't even falling. Still managed to cut them pretty well. Fortunately I have longish fingernails, and I'd braked it somewhat by slicing a vee down into the nail. There are two new (old) drawknives on that shelf, and of course the one that decided to slip off was the one I'd recently sharpened. I must get some more leather covers sewn up for the new ones.
Thursday is sword-fighting night. No-one believed I hadn't picked up my pointy end by mistake.
I'm forever nicking fingers on the corners as I handle them. Seems to make no difference if I round them with sandpaper.
No leather for me since I began using that white closed-cell foam as form-fitting tool holders in my shop. 1" spring clamps hold it to a loose tool, and in the box it's cradled against anything.

I use a lot of that stuff. For drawknives I prefer leather though, because it has the tensile strength to make a wrapper held with either press studs or velcro. I have tried using plastazote foam for these - it worked OK as a sleeve, but the fasteners kept tearing out.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:15:28 +0100, Andy Dingley

The recently sharpened one severed the fibers of your skin nicely, so they should heal with relatively little scarring and less pain. Be thankful it was the sharp one. DAMHIKT
I kept the little plastic sleeve which came on my LVT carver's drawknife. It has saved me at least twice now that I think of it. I should work up some leather sleeves for the other two, full-size old drawknives I found on Ebay for $5 apiece. That or build more tool storage like I'm always threatening.

You crafty devil, you.
--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."