Shop Radio/CD Players?

Page 1 of 2
Any recommendations for a shop radio/CD player? Is there anything out there that will stand up to wood dust? (I can live without the CD part if I have to, but not without NPR or the local jazz station :-)
Any suggestions for dustproofing a run-of-the-mill radio/CD player?
Darin
Too much dust for a cd player, radio's don't care too much about dust. I work in an electronics repair shop and we throw away lots of boom boxes with dead cd sections (not worth repair). So, if you have a local repair shop around you might ask if they have a boom box that has a bad cd section and get it real cheap. My 2 nickels worth. Chris
in message

I have a pc based MP3 player in my shop/garage. It has lived through 4 years of dust, heat, humidity a fire and still works fine ... PCs are a lot tougher than people would have you believe.
Interesting idea -- I'll have to give this some thought. I have hundreds of CDs ripped into Ogg Vorbis format (basically an open-source improvement on the MP3 format), and a wireless network already set up throughout the house...
Greg wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2004 08:25:26 +0000, darin-N O S P A M-nntp2 wrote:

Yup, that's exactly the way I'm gonna go (even Ogg Vorbis, believe it or don't). I just need to get Linux on one of my old, cruddy PCs and I'm set.
--
Joe Wells

FWIW, I've had a Sony CD Walkman, plugged into an old receiver and AC adaptor in the shop for over 10 years. All you need to do is hit it with compressed air or vacuum it out on occasion.
Barry
I have an old broken down boom box with a dead cassette. My daughter gave me a CD player a couple of years age. I made a small cover (wood frame) that keeps the dust out of it. Works for me.
Grant
B a r r y wrote:

I have a 100 CD jukebox that sits next to the DC for 3 years now, hasn't missed a beat. I keep copies, not originals, in it but it works fine.
BRuce
Chris wrote:

--
---

BRuce

On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:08:25 -0500, "darin-N O S P A M-nntp2"

I have a $5 garage sale Kenwood stereo, a $5 Sony CD Walkman, and some Wharfdale speakers from U-Bid. I also have a DeWalt jobsite radio I found on the side of the road. Used stereo equipment is EVERYWHERE at tag and garage sales.

Who cares? My stuff was incredibly cheap. <G>

Blow it out, when you remember, with compressed air. Garage sales are your friend for this stuff.
PS. I LOVE my XM radio in the shop!
Barry
in message

I use a $25 radio/tape/cd player from K/Wal Mart. Every year or so I blow it down with the air tip. Ed
Thanks for all the advice -- it sounds like as long as I lean more toward a used $10 POS than a premium $20K sound system, I should be all right :-)
Darin
Darin notes:

I think I paid 45 bucks for mine, probably at WalMart, 4-5 years ago. It's a POS in that the triple tray for CDs doesn't work and the extended play for the tapes doesn't work, but it sounds OK. Leave the 20K stuff for the kids with $800 cars.
Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce
On Thu, 13 May 2004 10:21:31 -0500, "@44clarence.com>" <darin-N O S P A M-nntp2\"@44clarence.com>"> brought forth from the murky depths:

I've decided to hum along with the dust collector with the earmuffs on during the cutting, "Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.", then shut the beasties off, take the muffs off and listen to the hand plane go "scritch, scritch, scritch" across the fresh wood.
Lovely music.
----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques writes:

Yeah, well...I've go the noisemaker in my shop, but I more of what you describe than anything else. For one thing, I can't hear it with muffs on. For another, I just flat forget I have it until I'm in the middle of something I don't want to interrupt. So it ends up much as my cell phone ended up: forgotten and not used often, which is why I no longer have a cell phone.
Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce
<snip>

Peltor Work Tunes. Great reception to boot.

I have the cheapest CD boombox available at wally world in the shop ($24.99). I put it in my cabinet, which has mosquito screen doors. The really fine dust can get at it in small quantities, but a quick wipe with a cloth now and then cures that cosmetic problem. It's worked flawlessly for over a year.
I purposefully bought the cheapest because I figure dust is going to have the same effect on a $30 laser that it will on the $150 laser.
Since you probably don't have mesh doors on your cabinets, maybe you can use one of those mosquito tents that they advertise for food on picnic tables, or make a frame and cover it with a finer mesh.

Cheap.
I have lots of CD players. Right this minute I only have _one_ that is still in working order (don't even mention Richer Sounds to me 8-( ), and that's the cheap piece-o-junk that hangs on the wall near the sawbench. It's full of dust, occasionally I stick the vacuum hose near it and get the worst. Plays CDs fine....
Where you put it will be important. Get one with a remote control, and then put the unit up high (top of a cabinet in my case) or other location where dust is minimal but ventilation is adequate. The speakers are pretty much impervious to dust, so put them where ever.
in message

I agree with the others who've responded with the cheap garage sale receiver/boombox/whatever. Screw the CD player. My cheapie used one has a remote control which lets me put the receiver & speakers way up on a shelf out of the way.
Since I have ripped all my CD's and have the mp3's on one of the computers, I got one of these: http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd tion&key=FM25B and it sits next to that computer in the house and broadcasts my music over an unused FM radio channel.
Down in the shop (or anywhere on the homestead for that matter) I simply tune in MY channel and life is good. No commercials, no DJ BS, & exactly the music I feel like listening to that day. I can't change the playlist from the shop, but that's NBD to me.
Art

I run MPXPLAY an DOS solution that takes keyboard commands so remote control is easy (use a bare keyboard card and relays or switches for the keys) You can run Winamp from a numeric pad tho (next, repeat, go back). Again that can be a bare keyboard card. My garage player runs from a 3W1 Seeburg 'wallbox" in the pool bar but I can still do "next" etc in the garage. There is a chip you can get to interface right from any remote that talks "Sony"