Shop Plans

Hello,

The wife and I are soon to be moving into a house we recently purchased, and I am looking forward to finally having a large garage. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good sites on the net or book recommendations for workbench and woodworking shop plans.

Several years ago I saw a setup which had benchtop powertools mouted to a type of foot, which could slide in and out of several stations around the shop. I would love to setup something similar.

This is probably a topic that appears in this group often, but I was wondering if people could share some of their favorite ideas and plans. Thanks

Reply to
karldavidson

Two new additions here. I'm considering the small shop and workstation books myself.

you don't like them I'm pretty sure Lee Valley will take them back.

Reply to
Gino

Mon, Dec 6, 2004, 11:05am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com claims: Hello, The wife and I are soon to be moving into a house This is probably a topic that appears in this group often, but I was wondering if people could share some of their favorite ideas and plans. Thanks

Often. I would say your best bet would be checking the archives, and pick and choose what you want.

who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

The "big three" from Taunton - The Workshop Book, The Workbench Book, The Toolbox Book

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Are you thinking of

?

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

There are a bunch of links to woodworking shop benches at

I ended up building a workbench from plans I found from Lowes. They worked pretty well, although there are certainly things it lacks. Just adjust as you go. Good luck.

Evan

Reply to
Evan

First, get copies of Tauton's "Workbench" book and their "Toolbox" book. (ISBNs on request.) In spite of it's title, the toolbox book is really about options for tool storage of all sorts.

Those two will give you loads of high-quality ideas for your new shop space. If there's a companion book on small shops, grab it as well.

Woodsmith and Time-Life also had a book titled "The Small Shop" in their woodworking series. You should be able to find it in used bookstores or such. It's got a plan for a nifty rotating station that holds three or four workbench sized tools and fits in a corner, as well as some other useful stuff.

Congratulations on your new space. Enjoy the planning!

--RC You can tell a really good idea by the enemies it makes

Reply to
rcook5

Yet another reason to spend money at Lee Valley. My wife and I took turns marking up the Lee Valley Christmas catalog and gave it to my parents as a wish list for Christmas. Lots of good, inexpensive stuff in there for both of us. (Lots of good, expensive stuff for me as well, but that's another story.)

--RC

You can tell a really good idea by the enemies it makes

Reply to
rcook5

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 04:14:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com calmly ranted:

Did anyone mention the downloadable shop designer yet?

>Two new additions here.

Though that wouldn't be quite fair, would it?

I just wrote out a measly $80 Lee Valley wishlist but a client check came in today, so I may be forwarding it to Rob any time now. ;)

========================================================== CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Norm had a two show version of a workshop in a garage. You can check his website at

see if you want to order his plans and/or the video(s).

Reply to
Dick Snyder

I built the workbench featured on Nahm's show- I'm pretty happy with it- reasonably easy to build and very sturdy. I didn't order the plans- fortunately I taped the show and went back to it several times.

Reply to
Chuck