Shop Panorama

I cleaned and organized my shop over the weekend. I thought while it was all clean I would do a panoramic view of the shop for my website using MS Digital Image Pro. If you have nothing better to do:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/panorama.html
Ken Vaughn Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65 /

No shop I have ever seen is that CLEAN!! ;)
Good lookin' shop there Ken. I was going to ask about the lack of a tablesaw until I read your explanation.
A couple of questions. Why all the metal drawers? Do they work well for you?
Also, is that a glass fronted cabinet above the bench in the middle of this picture. Or are the tools in the open?

Drawers are essential in a small shop -- I have dozens of them. My workbench has 16, the cabinet next to it has 10, a storage unit under the table saw has several more. The metal cabinets at the rear of the shop contain parts, screws, nails, fasteners, and much more. They are very convenient and sawdust free.

No glass on that cabinet. It stores hand tools. It is shown in more detail on the shop storage page on my website, but here are a few links:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/cabinet_front.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/cabinet_chisels.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/cabinet_gouges.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/cabinet_left.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/cabinet_right.jpg
Ken
Ken Vaughn wrote:

I envy you. Mine's in a basement. Nice place to work, mate.
Pretty darned neat picture. And your shop makes me envious. Not only is it nicely laid out and equipped, it is CLEAN.
RonB

curved workbench is sooo kool :-)
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
Ken Vaughn wrote:

Hard to believe any work gets done in there though, it's so bloody clean :) I can't even remember the colour of my floor :) "A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind" Wonder if this applies to workshops (Kidding). All bullshit aside, it's a great set-up. All the best John

Wow, nice shop. Definitely qualifies as a gloat.
I took a look at the rest of your shop site as well. I love the shopmade plow plane. And that's a darned nice Norris A5. :-P
Out of curiosity ... on your plane storage cabinet, is there anything that locks the planes in place, or do they just tilt on the end? I was wondering since I was thinking of building something similar ... was trying to figure out whether they needed to be clamped at the toe.

Thnaks for the kind words. The Norris is definitely a keeper, and so is the woman who gave it to me! <grin>

The wall mounted plane storage cabinet is 5" deep with a 1/2" back, so the slots are 4 1/2" deep. There is a retainer strip at the bottom of each slot which holds the Bailey planes at an angle -- the heel of the plane rests against the back of the strip and the toe of the plane against the back of the cabinet. On some of the smaller planes (#2, #3, #4, and #40 scrub planes) I had to cut a round cutout in the strip so that the bottom of the tote could fit into the cutout and allow the heel to bottom out. This keeps all the metal planes in the cabinet very secure, however, I also store a few wooden planes in the cabinet and they are less secure because of the shape of the heel, so I put a few wooden tabs on the sides of the slot sides to hold the plane in the slot. If you look closely at the photo you can see these tabs.
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/plane_storage.jpg
Ken
<snip>

Ken, I see only one major problem with that beautiful and functional plane cabinet.
It's full. Where do the next ones go?
Patriarch, fellow hand plane addict, with two additions to the herd in the last 4 weeks...

There are two or three in the cabinet which don't need to be there -- sort of place keepers if you will. And believe me, I could make room for that #1 if I found one I could afford. It's way too small for my hands, but it would be nice to complete the set. I was in a used tool shop last fall which actually had 3 for sale, if you can image that. For those who don't follow hand tools -- a #1 in good shape can bring $1200 to $1500. Saw one for $600 last year, but not in the kind of shape I would like to have.
Most of my planes are in the cabinet with 10 drawers next to my bench, BTW. For example:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/cork_lined_drawer.jpg
Only bench planes are kept in the wall mounted plane storage cabinet.
Ken
wrote in message >

I surrender. You win. ;-)
Patriarch
[snip]

LOL..very funny....
----------
*Tips hat* to Ken. Nice layout and collection. Looks functional too! You should be very proud.
(I am only admitting to a wee bit of envy)

Hi Ken,
I see the little tabs now. That's a good idea. I think I will recycle it :-)
Thank you for the information, and thanks for the great website.
Nate

It's even cleaner than when you went through it for the web site pictures, and that was getting a little anal.. *g*
Are you planning on doing surgery or micro-chip work in there, or did you get a new insurance policy.. lol Mac 03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer 99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears

Aw, take it easy guys -- it's not that clean. Selective camera position can make things look better than they really are -- ask any Playboy photographer!
on 7/12/2005 12:20 PM Ken Vaughn said the following:

My shop is close to yours in size and I couldn't fit the damn tripod in my to take the panoramic.
Nice shop, Ken. And did anyone compliment you on how neat and clean it was?

And tool envy, of course....
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing