Shop Made Zero Clearance Insert

Page 2 of 2

Yeah, they probably will if they run down to their insurance company and tell them about it.

I'll shoot you a picture and give you a link.
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:05:56 -0600, MIKE- wrote

Cool way to wedge in a splitter!
I used my original Delta insert as a template for making a working insert template. When I get bored I zip out a few on the router table, usually from my scrap pile of 1/2" thick oak. Leveling screws are really short set screws.
How well does the surface of the plywood hold up?
-BR
On 3/21/10 8:18 AM, Bruce wrote:

Fine, so far. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't last as long as the saw.... or blade at least, unless I'm missing something.
--

-MIKE-

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:19:04 -0600, MIKE- wrote

I get chips, etc, near where the teeth re-enter. Basically it's from the hammering that occurs at this spot. I know that oak is a bit splintery and was wondering if that is my problem. The multiple plies would seem to reduce this effect, but the softer wood could also help (springier) or hurt (get beat up more).
I suppose the best thing is to just try and see! I should know in about a year....
-BR

I read somewhere a suggestion to open up the insert kerf slightly. Maybe about two swipes with a file on either side, just enough to give the teeth a tiny bit of clearance.
Think that would help in this case?
Puckdropper

Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:

I would have thought that between thousands of rotations per minute plus the slight wobble & vibrations in any setup that there soon would be enough clearance.
That being said, on my zero clearance insert I do seem to hear a bit of a woosh or whistle or some such sound but I always attributed it to air being forced through a tighter space than with the original wide clearance insert.
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:08:04 -0600, blueman wrote

Yup, mine tends to get a tad wider on it's own, probably from flexing a bit as I cut various things that tend to side-load the blade a bit (think really thin crosscuts to sneak up on a fit).
I'm going to use my template and knock out a few with some Ruskie BB I have. Being perfectly flat and smooth in these small sizes (plus a use for all that scrap!), I think it may convince me to switch.
-BR
On 3/25/10 7:27 PM, Bruce wrote:

Oh, I see. I haven't noticed any of that. But they're so easy to make, I guess I'll just whip another one out, if it happens. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Here are links to my inserts.
Bottom view showing adjustable screws on bottom side and retainer to keep the insert from lifting in the back.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4451328852/sizes/l /
Top view showing back retainer
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4450559787/sizes/l/
On 3/21/10 12:10 PM, Leon wrote: