Shop lights which is better

4 double tube 4 foot fluorescent or two 8 foot double tube? I've never had the 8 footers. Are they exactly double the light? My shop is only 14x18 but I want to put the lights directly on the ten foot ceiling for clearance. I'm also including 2 incandescent fixtures.
Same light. 8' tubes are less "clutter", 4' tubes are easier to handle. Each to their own.
Good luck Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"brent scott" < snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com> wrote in message
I gave up on four footers once I had some eights. I find the two little pins on each of the 4s are a pita to install. The 8s just have one beefy pin per end. The inexpensive 4' fixtures have really poor sockets, so to get a quality 4' fixture you pay as much as an 8'. The 8' tubes seem to last forever, about 5 years and still going in my shop.
If I ever buy 4' again it will be for drop task lighting only.

I prefer the 4' fixtures... they're not only easier to handle/hang/change tubes, but I've never seen the 8' tubes OR fixtures on sale...
I like 4' hanging on short chains... sometimes I might have one 4' fixture running parallel to the rafters like the others, and the next one at an angle to it, depending on where I want to throw the light..
Having 8' tubes in a shop before, I'm glad that I don't have to climb up and change an 8' tube anymore..

Me too...
I use true color incandescent as task, sharpening, and finishing area lights.
Barry