Shop Lights hijacked.

Some of you will remember my rant, whine, crying... whatever you want to call it about my phillips T8 bulbs, and how short they last.

I just pulled 2 out of my troffers, The sharpie writing indicates they were installed on 4/25 or 26 /16. So they too didn't last long.

Don't buy phillips bulbs from HD.. they SUCK!!, I have 2 bulbs left from that carton, and a few more from another. That was an expensive lesson.

Not the first time Phillips disappointed, but I will never buy them again, I'm not going to be that desperate, or stupid.

Reply to
woodchucker

woodchucker wrote in news:VbadnbeGhLuM-LfFnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Yep, I'll second that. I bought a dozen Phillips bulbs from HD a few years ago, and I'll never do that again -- lifespan measured in months, vs. years for Sylvania, GE, or Westinghouse.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I am not a Philips fan but have 16 that are 6 years old and doing fine, and I got them from HD. I would think something else is wrong.

Reply to
Leon

I will have to say that I have a combination of phillips and GE bulbs (F96T12 C50) that have lasted for most of a decade in the shop. I've seen no difference in lifetime between GE and Phillips with this particular bulb.

They weren't inexpensive and I replaced the magnetic ballasts about 12 years ago with electronic ballasts (Advance).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

My elecrician buddy told me to never buy bulbs from HD. They operate much like Walmart, they tell Phillips(or whoever) what they will pay for the bulbs and Phillips then has to figure out how to make and sell them for that. This results in thinner glass, less gas,and cheaper prongs, etc. I'm not going to testify to this in court on this, but thats what he has said. He gets me bulbs at the supply house and they are better and last longer. YMMV

Reply to
ChairMan

With few exceptions most all large retail tells vendors what they are going to pay.

Reply to
Leon

If I had T8's w/ instant start ballasts I think I'd test drive a couple of these $7 LED tubes:

How about SYLVANIA from Lowes?

Spalted Walt

I'd read the reviews before I'd suggest a test drive. 3.3 on the HD ones on 2.5 on the Lowes.

Not glowing, so to speak.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, I have had good luck with Sylvania and GE in the past. Right now I don't trust the Phillips brand lights from HD, so I'll stay away from their LEDs.

Those are all well priced. I'll see if lowes has them in stock.

Reply to
woodchucker

Try them again. A few years ago the industry wasn't controlled by law. Now it is folded into the laws of light bulbs and must deliver proper light. When they say replaces a 60 watt - it does or is brighter.

I have some '60's that are really projecting like '40's.

But new bulbs work just fine. Got a 3-way for the living room. Got it at Loews. It takes several seconds to turn on because it is electronic and must have to charge some filter caps...

Mart> woodchucker wrote in news:VbadnbeGhLuM-LfFnZ2dnUU7-

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Way ahead of ya on that Grasshopper; Philips 456590 Amazon reviwes, arranged 'most recent first':

I'd venture that the vast majority of the negatives @ HD/Lowes are due to wrong ballasts, written by folks who couldn't tell the difference between a T8 a T12 and a butter dish ;), let alone knowing wheather they had instant, rapid, or programed start ballasts.

What I looked for (and didn't see) was "Worked great for a few days/weeks/months and suddenly stopped working." That would be more of a red flag for me.

Reply to
Spalted Walt