Shop Lighting opinions

Page 3 of 4
DGDevin wrote:

Nowhere in my writing have I taken the corporate side or defended a company for fraud. My only point in all of this is to say something that we have all heard from our grandmothers; two wrongs don't make a right. It is wrong to use fraud to combat fraud.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Telling people to pursue a class action lawsuit is not practical advice as in effect it means companies will rarely be called to account. Expecting us to live by a company's return policiy no matter how unreasonable is also one-sided, especially when a company comes up with a loophole to let them ignore their own usual policy. The consumer is at a massive disadvantage, so if some droid at the returns desk mistakenly allows a consumer to get his money back against the company's wishes I for one see that as poetic justice.

What "fraud"? I bought two identical items on two different days, one item was defective, I returned it and HD got a replacement or credit from the mfg., they suffered no loss. So, where's the fraud?
Nevermind, we've just going in circles here.
However karma seems to be in effect, the company I had the dispute with over the inkjet cartridges recently discovered one of their top execs had defrauded them of millions of dollars, can't say I shed any tears over that.

For a creative newsgroup, there seems to be a real lack of imagination. Another poster offered two more legal, ethical options for dealing with the unscrupulous retailer. I just threw one option out there and you use it as reason enough to through out any other ethical options.

You keep adding details to your story, and act like I was replied to yours, ex pos facto. The *original poster,* to whom I first replied, suggested buying something, today, to swap out for something bought a long time ago, and return it as the new one. That is fraud and tantamount to theft.

Neither do I. You reap what you sow.
--

-MIKE-

I've never had a problem of this type that either the store manager or an email to the local BBB didn't solve..

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

But Mac, that won't satisfy one's thirst for vengeance, now will it? :-)
--

-MIKE-

That depends how you do it. OJ, for example, went about it all wrong.

What if? The original premise was to buy it, use it, burn it out, and swap it for the same item.

It didn't read that way, Devin. I'm glad you cleared that up.
MikeWhy wrote:

That was delayed karma, those slow-grinding wheels finally caught up with him.

Yes, but that's not what I described doing, In one case I was knowingly sold junk which the seller and mfg. then declined to do anything about until the warranty was up at which point they figured they were in the clear. Burning out a product and then trying to scam a replacement is an entirely different matter. Mike figures the guys wearing out gear and taking it back as new are doing the same thing I did when I returned a virtually unused item that failed in weeks by buying a second and using that receipt, that strikes me as apples and oranges.
-MIKE- wrote:

And it makes problems for other people. I got a backup power supply once on which some asshole had done that with the battery. Also got a modem, didn't work, took it back to BestBuy, swapped it out, that one didn't work, talked to the store manager and ended up going through five of the things before we found one that worked. And at Harbor Fright, one time, I got a nail gun that was supposed to come with a package of nails--no nails--again went through most of the store's stock before we found one with nails. It amazes me that people will steal a damn little box of nails.
This is one example of the failure of ethics and enlightened self interest to adequately replace the fear of an all-knowing and vengeful God in moderating human behavior.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Part of the blame is shared by employees who don't listen or just don't care.
I took back a faulty item to Walmart and told the returns clerk that it didn't work. She put it in the cart behind the counter. As I walked back to the aisle to get another, I saw a stock guy bringing the same box I'd just returned to restock the shelf. I told him that I'd just returned it because it didn't work properly and he thanked me for telling him and said, "They [return desk] do that all the time."
That's one reason I never buy a box that's be opened and taped shut.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Yep. Trouble is that sometimes it's hard to tell.
--John
Nails ???
Speak to somebody in the power tools departments of Lowes or Home Depot.
The customers steal on a regular basis:
The knobs that hold the air breather covers on compressors,power washers,etc.
The air cleaner covers.
The air filters from the above tools.
The tires from lawn mowers.
Any or all the knobs from back pack or hand held blowers.
Anything that can be removed and easily put in a pocket.
Imagine going to jail over a $2 air filter.
A friend who is a manager in a Lowes tells me stories that are beyond belief on theft.
J. Clarke wrote: It amazes me that people will

Mark,
Replace your existing fixtures with ones that take the T8 bulbs. They are twice as bright as regular fluorescents for about the same cost. You may not have to add any more fixtures either - I didn't. Another advantage is that they don't flicker when the temp is cold.
Bob S.
Bob S. wrote:

now I hate to turn on the lights in the storage room which is still t12.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Both of those "advantages" are a function of the newer light fixture and bulb than they are of the T8 size.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Something else to consider, CLEAN the existing bulbs, if they are dusty a lot of light is being blocked.

I have eight 4' flourescent fixtures with reflectors. I drilled a hole every 8" along the edges of the reflectors and fastened hardware cloth to the reflectors. This prevents a swinging 2x4 from hitting a tube, yet easy to replace a tube. I installed electrical outlets on the ceiling--each oulet has an extra outlet for future units if needed. The chains holding the lamps allow you to move the light as needs change. I wired my ceiling outlets to a bank of wall switches near the shop door. I'm very fortunate to have windows in my basement shop, great for sharpening. Still, I have adjustable incandescent task lamps near my bandsaw, drill press, lathe, miter saw, putting concentrated light near the cut. As I got older I needed more light.
Phisherman wrote:

Great idea!

I find the garage door opener outlet on the garage ceiling the most useful outlet in the building, it's always easy to reach, nothing is ever in the way, and it's a beefy circuit. I think I'm going to add another one.
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:51:31 -0600, mark cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Where do you live that requires conduit for a simple lighting run in a basement? What a pain.
I'd just hang some more florescents. You can get different heat ranges that will provide much better light - just look at the bulbs in your local Borg.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Whatever you do for additional lighting, also consider making the walls and ceiling lighter in color to reflect more light. I have a long, narrow shop. It has 5 2 tube 4' flourescents running down the middle. And then, along each edge of the room, 4 more of them. The main light switches (3 ways, at each door) turns on the middle section and separate switches turn on the lights on each edge of the shop. The whole shop is painted white. Even with all that, I still do have task lights (incandescent) at the lathe and the scroll saw.
Just a note on height: This shop has 9 foot ceilings. But I still didn't want the lamps in the way if I'm standing up an 8 foot sheet of something, so instead of the chains that hold the fixtures up, I screwed them right to the ceiling (with a 1" spacer).
This set up works quite well.
Pete Stanaitis ----------------
mark wrote:

What is the purpose of the 1" spacer?