Shop lighting?

Page 4 of 4
Charlie Self wrote:

Wow, that got me thinking. The woman who used to live in this house used to *love* those. I have old appliances in the kitchen, so more than likely one or all of them have been used at some point in the preparation of a fine plate of the finest guts a hog has to offer.
Bleah.
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:32:17 -0500, Silvan

You are talking about the people who invented the vomitorium, ate raw octopus and sea urchins, whole songbirds (the tongues - should be tounges - were reserved for the sybaritic banquets), and garum (DAGS). Ackshally, YDNTDAGS.
http://www.foodreference.com/html/artgarum.html
Sheep innards and oatmeal - yummy. I actually really like haggis, having been subjected to it at numerous Robbie Burns nights, and I am sure my ancestors would also have relished it.
Now, if you had mentioned bagpipes . . .
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Yeah, I forgot about the bird tongues...
I never knew about garum. Gack.

OK, maybe you were afraid of the bagpipes then. :)
I wouldn't eat haggis or garum or any of myriad other things unless I was moments away from starving to death, but I love bagpipes.
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:18:09 -0500, Tom Watson

With the circles and the arrows and the paragraph on the back of each one telling what each one was. <Sigh> McMines, anyone? (Apologies to Arlo)

...and a wee bit of a broooooogue.
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development

someone
on
.30-30
You won't get inside my shop in the dark anyway! My shop is surrounded with halogen floods, all on motion detectors. My neighbor call me every so often and tells me that lights are on, better check it out! Greg
Back ON topic for a moment... Go figure. :)
I have adequate light in my shop, but I could use more. I wouldn't mind having some extra heat right now either.
I was looking at various small halogen kits today. Some round, some rectangular, all running off of 12V transformers. I was thinking maybe put one of those over the table saw, one over the workbench, one in the dark back corner, etc., but I didn't get far enough to read how much wire runs between them and so forth.
Anyone have any thoughts on that? I like halogen light, but they get *hot*, and my whole shop from floor to ceiling is made out of wood and usually filled with dust. Is that something I should really think about?
Maybe go with regular incandescent clamp lamps or some such?
Silvan asks:

Fluorescent where possible, incandescent as task lighting, IMO and IME.
Halogen is great for some task lighting, say on a drill press or lathe, but the bulbs do get hot. I've never had one give a problem, but...
The heat bit strikes 2 ways: it's useful now (I use some photofloods to aid natural heating sometimes, but in my shop, the electrical lines are a problem: both halogen and photofloods draw a lot of watts...500 to 600 watters per bulb for the floods, 500 to 1000 for the halogens). Come summer, the halogen is a horror in VA. Been there, done that (and probably will again).
Charlie Self
"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan
Charlie Self wrote:

Yeah, there is that indeed. Though in summer there's more ambient light to use (with the doors open), so I might not need the supplemental lighting as much.
Anyway, another score is the fact that I have low ceilings and close quarters. I could actually burn myself pretty badly on a halogen light if I placed it poorly.
What about if I just get some wire, buy some lamp sockets, and dangle some bulbs here and there? Cheap is always good.
Silvan asks:

Hey, what the hell. Go for it. It's your life. Shorten it any way you wish.
But reminds me of a basement shop I once had: when I took it over, one light fixture had been pulled aside, and a receptacle wired on--dangling. Into which a coffee pot was plugged.
Cost me about $500 to rewire that place, but before I spent a cent, I yanked that receptacle.
No dangles, please.
Charlie Self
"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan
Silvan wrote:

If your going to put one you almost have to put two bulbs to reduce harsh shadows.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:19:30 -0500, Silvan

Didja hear that joke...?

I picked up a HALdeluxe from the Borg (via phone in NorCal) for $16 when they were on clearance. It came with voicemodem, software, X-10 interface, etc. www.AutomatedLiving.com sells a package for $239 but Blowes might have them a LOT cheaper. Also try Worthington, a home automation wholesaler in MD. www.worthdist.com It's cheaper than you think to get into it. I have a little pocket remote which allows me to turn lights on all over the house when I'm not at the computer to use voice. (Good ambient household microphones cost $100 a pop, though, the reason I haven't expanded voice control.)

What's this "maybe" stuff?
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

This is real? Wow, I guess I should get with the times and stuff.
Or not... No, I have too many things on the someday list as it is.
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:45:33 -0500, Silvan

Think about the 8' High Output Cold Start lamps. The bulbs are only $1 more then the 4' at Lowes. Yea the inital fixture price ($50) is more but you won't need as many. Get the tube covers too just in case of an accidental bumping with a piece of wood, etc.
Lots of good stuff. I would only add, use 'designer white' florescent bulbs. They give off a more white light than standard bulbs. Same price. Lowe's sells them.
dave
Ok, as far as the lighting go's I have decided to go with three rows of seven (two bulb) fixtures and some task lighting where I need it. Now, another question I have is with my options for frost line insulation in the shop. I have the standard four foot fiberglass insulation and I am thinking of removing it because it looks like crap. I am looking for suggestions about replacement materials. I don't want to cut into the shop anymore than I have to so thickness is important.
Thanks again guys,
Blair
Blair Chesterton wrote in

    I have 4 2-bulb 8 foot fixtures in a 18'x20' shop and it isn't enough for me. I have also painted the wall and ceiling bright white. There is no such thing as too much light in my opinion. If you don't think you will use all of the light, all of the time, then wire it up so that you can turn on "sets" of lights in the shop in order to increase light levels incrementally.
--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods