Shop lighting?

Page 3 of 4
Lawrence Ramsey notes:

Oh, you'd be surprised, I think. Silvan does, Tim does, I do and that's just a start. Betcha buck that Tom Watson does.
Charlie Self
"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan
On 21 Nov 2003 20:35:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

If'n I unnerstands ya corectally, da two can be tolt apart as, da bidness side of da newish Claymores has a sign dat goes sumpthin like, "Front - Towards Enemy", whilst da older, simpler, and more personal types, on their bidness edges, hath naught but a glint and a swoosh.
Tom Watson responds:

Yeah, well..the glint is built in, but you have to provide your own "swoosh," unlike the sneakers.
Charlie Self
"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan
Charlie Self wrote:

Gotta be careful with them swooshes too. My claymore is a POS, truth be known. One good swing, and the tang bent from the weight of the blade. I straightened it out, but I can never do more than wave it around gently.
It's a wall hanger. It makes people think I'm crazy though, which is useful. They leave you alone when they think you're crazy. ;)
I'm not crazy though. If I really *needed* a weapon, I'd go for my machete, or a baseball bat. Something I could wield with precision.
More than likely, I'd just run like hell though. I have everything to live for, and no intention of getting myself killed to try to prove how big my penis is.
Silvan wrote:

I have a Viking helmet complete with horns for the same purpose. I call it my "Technical Support Helmet." <g> "YOU"RE SAYING OUR SOFTWARE MADE YOUR COMPUTER CRASH? WELL LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, YOU ..."
I'm 6'2", 250 lbs+, and until earlier this week had a 6 month beard. I trimmed it because a couple people said I looked "too dangerous." <g> Of course, 900 years ago Norwegian ancestors of mine, travelling around in longboats, weren't all that easy to get along with...
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

See, somebody understands me. :)

My ancestors weren't very easy to get along with either. Hadrian just walled off the whole damn country, rather than deal with them. :)
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:39:55 -0500, Silvan

According to my ancestors, yours were something like BAD: annoying painted little buggers. There was nothing worth conquering in that cold, damp place so my ancestors just walled them off the same way we, today, killfile idiots. :)
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Feh, you were just afraid of us because we tried to make you eat haggis.
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:32:17 -0500, Silvan

That's a felony in the USA now that the new HSA is in place. Just try it, fella. Just try it!
------------------------------------------- Stain and Poly are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
Larry Jaques wrote:

You mean the DHS?
Anyway, not likely. I suspect the reason *my* ancestors fled their homeland was to get away from haggis.
scribbled

Luckily, I live in a still (relatively) free country, so I will once more be subjected to haggis and bagpipes come next January 25th.
OBWW: Ken Mulloy, who I consider to be my Yukon godfather, is a piper among his many other talents. About 10 years ago, he gave me an old ca. 1919 #7 for Christmas.
Luigi Zanasi responds:

Yeah, well...where Silvan lives, he's within maybe a 20 minute drive of one of the major Highland Festivals in the U.S. And it is amazing how many of these things there really are. Ya gotta love the pipes, though. Tossing cabers is simply not enough.
Charlie Self
"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan
Charlie Self wrote:

Funny thing is, I even *went* to RU, and I've never been to one of those things. I always remember it the day after. It sounds like a lot of fun.
On 23 Nov 2003 16:46:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) scribbled:

Remember, I'm in Canada, where the Scots probably had more influence than anywhere else in the world, including Scotland, and where it seems that every town outside Quebec has a pipe band and a Scottish/Highland (and now Celtic as a nod to the Irish) festival. Not to speak of pipe bands for every single military unit from platoons on up, even those that don't wear skirts as part of their dress uniform.
Some historical notes: Alexander Mackenzie was the first European to cross the continent and reach the Pacific north of Mexico (1793), "discovered" North America's longest river and reached the Arctic ocean. I went to a university named after its funder (yes, funder), another Scottish fur trader (McGill). Canada's first two Prime Ministers were Sir John A. Macdonald and another Alexander Mackenzie. The longest-lived one was Mackenzie-King, who was the grandson of William Lyon Mackenzie, of 1837 Rebellion fame.
And, Scots Gaelic is still spoken in parts of Nova Scotia.
Luigi Whose tird (superfluous "h" omitted) language is English, but who can nevertheless do a pretty good Gleska accent.
Luigi Zanasi responds:

Yeah, it didn't get that bad (good) here: few if any military pipers. But for much of the southeast inland of the coast, the Scots-Irish "invasion" of the mid-1700s created an influential base that is being tapped more, at least culturally, then ever before.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote:

I never considered that until just now. People from Lynchburg toward Danville and thereabouts have a funny accent characterized by words like "aboot" and "hoose." Just like Canadians. Just like Scots.

I read an article recently that explained that the main difference between the US and Canadian accents was the influence of the Scots in Canada. They also pointed out that the US accent is gradually changing to be more like Canada's. Must be all those Canucks in Hollywood...
I was at a dinner last week where an honour guard of the metro police marched in wearing (St. Andrew's?) tartan and playing pipes. Black, white and I don't think a single Scot among them. Ah, Canada...
Mike
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 04:00:26 GMT, "Michael Daly"

That's 'cause we speak pure English without any accent.

Well, my friend Narissa Rosati is a member of the Midnight Sun Pipe Band. Guess what her non-ethnic origin is. (OBWW- She's a renovation contractor. Motto: For stress-free renovations, call Rosati Construction.)
Larry Jaques wrote:

Grandma was a Mackenzie and Mcandrew.
I got to go to the Bobby Burns celebration several times. A black tie dinner with poetry and Haggis.
When I was a child I was allowed to have it with honey and milk, when I became a cretin age I was expected to choke it down like a man.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark responds:

Shoot, man...or is that hoot, mun? You need to combine it with southern flair and go to some of the groups that choke down the annual chitlin' cook. I ain't never, and never will. The smell used to send me running, so now my knees are too screwed up for me to run, I'm just much more careful about where I go to dinner.