Shop light saga continues

Page 1 of 2
Took back 6 light fixtures to Orchard Supply today after they urged me to return them when I told them of the many burned out bulbs. Since I posted the other thread about fluorescents, 2 more bulbs burned out that were marked with the install date: Jan 4, 2004. Lasted a mere 11 days.
I bought 6 new and different brand of fixtures for $20 each. Sub zero, rapid start, switch, etc. Put one up in the shop, then opened the next box: broken socket. Opened the next one: broken. and the next. and the next. ALL 6 were broken (boxes were in perfect shape).
Went to another location where they had 4 in stock. Three were broken. bought one.
Now I'm on my way across town to ANOTHER Orchard Supply where rumor has it they have 9 in stock.
Does this sort of thing ever happen to YOU??
dave
No.
--
Rumpty

Never. Rare that I see a broken item when I bring it home.
Just got back from the 3rd store: out of 6 units, guess how many were broken. SIX! Every fixture in 6 unopened boxes had broken sockets. What a great way to spend Friday...
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Why are you torturning yourself? Is there something special about these fixtures? I bought the hanging 2 bulb 48" shoplights at Lowe's for $7.99. Bulbs cost another $2. They work flawlessly.
Bob

nothing special except I can't find any others. I've tried HD's Lithonia last year; they don't drive the bulbs as brightly. I'm not near a Lowes. The ONE I got today is working fine, so far. Comes on instantly and is bright. Now if I can get 5 more, I'll be able to see what I'm doing in the shop.
dave
Bob Davis wrote:

What I'm not understanding is why no one has mentioned opening the box at the store before checkout, drive home, install, damnit-don't-work, uninstall, drive back, see manager, wait for refund, find replacements, rinse & repeat. BTDT, don't need another t-shirt.
I've never had a problem with either a cashier or manager when I ask to open any box for inspection prior to payment. I may have problems if there's a long line behind me... so check for that first. If there's lines, then I go to the service desk and get the manager to open them for me to inspect there- and usually wind up avoiding the lines too.
I get a working whatever without the hassle or return trips, lines, accusatory managers suspicious that *I'VE* tossed my old broken whatsis in the box in place of their good model. And best of all- it just plain annoyed the hell outta one particular manager at the Orange Borg that insisted EVERYTHING he sold is perfect before we find 4 of 5 broken-in- box from sealed, fresh stock.
BTW- this applies at any of the big box stores- electronics, computers, appliances, toys, home centers.
Open and inspect it before you walk out of the store.
/vic
maybe I didn't make myself clear, Victor:
I didn't expect new fixtures to be broken. After finding 6 broken fixtures at one store, I went to another store and OPENED the 4 boxes they had in stock. One was undamaged. I bought it and it works.
Went to another store where there were 6. Opened them all. All were broken. Left the store without purchasing anything.
So, I don't need a lecture on common sense...
dave
Victor Radin wrote:

Let's see. You're buying lighting fixtures. Common sense would indicate that a Lighting store might be a better bet then a hardware store. Especially once you'd visited not just one, but two stores and seen the same quality merchandise.
There is a lamps plus right next to Oakridge, and a wholesale lighting supply company on Junction - you could have found both of them in the yellow pages. And you could stop at CB to drool on the way to the wholesale place.
Common sense is seldom either.
scott

dave
Scott Lurndal wrote: ommon sense is seldom either.
Well, I appreciate not taking offense to my flippant reply. I don't live in one of those gorgeous parts of the country, but by golly, I've got retail availability and competition running out my ears. I forget that's not the case everywhere.
Bob

Bob, you'd be forever amazed at how a metropolitan area like the South Bay can be so difficult (make that downright maddening) when it comes to finding something as simple as a functional light fixture. I've heard others lament at how difficult it can be to find simple things around here. I've been here since '70 so I know what I'm up against! :)
I don't like torturing myself which is why I asked for a refund on the Delta BS. :) I NEED lights in my shop and I can't find another source on short notice. I posted a message a few minutes ago about finding the 6 that I needed, BTW. They are installed and give bright, quiet light. So I celebrated with a trip to Rib Crib.
dave
Bob Davis wrote:

Nope! I just get deals on like new, two bulb flouresant fixtures for free! By the way, I got the shop painted again, lights mounted and wired. I think I reached saturation point on lighting in the shop. I worked on the wife's car all afternoon last week end. When I was closing up the shop I realized I did not have ALL the lights turned on! At this point I have 24, four foot, two bulb fixtures in the shop, (24' x 38' shop), plus five or six 100 watt incandesants. Darned near need sunglasses! Greg
Wow! <squinting, just from the thought> You've got me beat on candlepower, Greg. I've got 9 (correction, I HAD 9 fixtures until I returned 5 that were installed and 1 I didn't take out of the box). I replaced ONE lonely fixture, as 15 others were broken at 3 stores I went to today! I don't have any incandescent ones. Oh, Greg, if you REALLY are serious about having major rays streaking down from you ceiling, replace all your fluorescents with the dual 150W halogens that are shaped like fluorescent fixtures! I tried one out in the store today and almost decided to take one home until I realized I don't want to be burning 300 watts per fixture. Plus they get hotter than hell. Imagine having just ten of those bad boys; 3,000 watts! Griswold would be proud.
dave
Greg O wrote:

As I emptied the last 2 of my Phillips T12 bulbs from the borg "contractor pack", couldn't help but notice that it explictily says on the box that they are meant only for fixtures with 34w ballasts. Seems to me that most older fixtures had 40w ballasts. That might explain your problem with short life (although mine don't seem to last too long either but out of the last 10 pack, 8 have survived at least six months). Now that I think about it, maybe it isn't the bulb at all but rather the cheap chinese $10 borg fixtures rated at 34w are probably shooting too much juice. The borg also sells a pretty nice T8 fixture that includes a grate and has a pull chain switch for less than $20 (bulbs not included). Still too early to comment on bulb life but if they turn out to be short also, then I guess I'll conclude that when it comes to shop lighting fixtures you get what you pay for and the borg is not the place to go.
Here in the NE USA the halogen is nice, at least ConEd thinks so. I use it for intense task lighting only although I guess if I used it more often I could probably hook up an exhaust fan to the electric meter.

free!
the
24,
six

Geez! I forgot to mention I have two 500 watt halogen floods mounted on the ceiling also! They are mounted to the ceiling, right in front of where the car would be parked. They are great to light up under the hood. Other than that I don't use them much because of potential sunburn! I do place the table saw under one, great lighting, but a few shadows. Greg
I use 2 500's when spraying. Geez, those suckers get hot! I'm not looking forward to spraying with them on a hot day. In point of fact, I should try to spray in the morning before I exceed the correct spraying temperature for the Enduro, which at this moment in time, I do not recall.
dave
Greg O wrote:

Have you taken a look at the $7.99 or so shop lights that HD is currently selling? I think they are by "Commercial Electric" or something like that. I don't normally go for el cheapo shop lights, but these have electronic ballasts (supposedly will start down to 0 degress or something like that) and will work for either T8's or T12's. I just bought a few for undercabinet lights. They seem to work great, although I've no idea how long they will last since I just installed them a couple of weeks ago. They are considerably better than the normal cheap shoplights with the plastic ends - these are all metal, reasonably sturdy, and they have a nice heavy enamel finish.
Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com
I tried some of their Lithonia lights; they weren't as bright. Took them back and got the ones from Orchard with electronic ballasts for $11.99. Then I started replacing bulbs left and right...
dave
Tim Carver wrote:

Bay Area Dave said:

I guess that is why a good electronic ballast costs more than what you paid for the whole fixture. All ballasts are not created equal... <g>
Seriously, I had a couple of those cheap 'electronic ballast' lamps and one blew up. Took it apart to fix it, and after seeing how they were made, I threw the rest of them away. They were bulb eaters.
Since you pay more for everything anyway <BFG>, why not get some Osram/Sylvania Quicktronic T-8 ballasts. They have regulated outputs, start below 0 degrees and have a >20,000 hour bulb life - guaranteed!
Oh, I forgot - You bought some cheap fixtures that won't accept a real ballast... ;-)
FWIW,
Greg G.