Shop Layout Feedback

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

There are reducers and various fittings for the purpose...all the usual mail order places are the likely culprits... :)

Reply to
dpb

Oh, and generally if one has 6" collector, one will run one a main trunk and drop off for individual machines w/ reducing 'y' to 4" or whatever...

--

Reply to
dpb

Yeah, I got that part (mine does have a 2x4"-to-6" 'Y' on its input), but my point is that 4" DC parts aren't the same size as 4" PVC (and I don't think drainage PVC is the same as waste PVC pipe) and indeed not all 4" DC ports are exactly the same size (my saw and planer don't take the same fittings). Flex hose makes up for a lot of sins but it's also a lousy duct. To get things to fit I end up with 4x as many parts as I need, just to get something that sorta works. Or not.

Reply to
keithw86

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

Hmmm....ok you're telling me I'm having (yet another) senior moment, huh? :)

I've not rearranged or added anything for so long I couldn't even tell you any more what I actually used (I think it's just standard Sch 40 PVC, though for the trunks/distribution lines) or where any of the end adapter fittings, etc., came from originally; it all moved from TN back to the farm when came back and I'm pretty sure at least some of the original pieces predate the move from VA to TN in '78.

I don't _recall_ any particular difficulties, though...then again, that's not surprising (not remembering something, that is, not that there weren't difficulties...)

Reply to
dpb

I see all sorts of answers :-)

I'd make the tool bench 2 to 3x longer. And deeper.

Consider what might be used on each machine.

A 3' disk being .... or a 24 / 36 " long ...

I think I'd swap the bench with the wood lathe.

I'd have more room to 'jump' backwards out of the way or step back...

A corner might trap more chips as well.

More closing storage. Lots of dust - even with a collector.

Mart> I have a approximately 20x30 space for my shop. I've been working on

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I am hoping to move into a shop later this year that will be marginally smaller than your shop but I still plan to keep every thing on mobile bases. I'll store most everything around the perimeter of the room in no particular order and roll the machine out as needed. The dust collector and machines that will work in any location will likely not be moved much but I will still be bringing my wife's car in at night.

Reply to
Leon

On 04 Jun 2010 04:39:43 GMT, Puckdropper wrote the following:

I've never seen 6" macaroni (diameter OR length), so that must be the bucatini.

OK.

All together now, guys: "BUT YOU'D BETTER GROUND IT!"

-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Got me, but things never seem to go tougher like they're supposed to.

On the way home tonight I bought a 4" thin wall (drainage stuff) elbow to play. It's *way* too big to fit anything connected to the DC. It looks like PVC pipe has a 4" ID, the same as 4" flex hose.

How to get from the DC to a 4" piece of PVC pipe? They make PVC to DC fittings, but that gets me from pipe to flex hose. I'd like to go solid pipe from my DC to separator (three right angles and a little pipe) and from there out, but can't figure out how to do it without flex somewhere in the middle.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

OK, I'll try to see if I can ascertain what I did use...I don't have any flex except some metallic flex. It'll have to be some time next week as planning on being gone over weekend...

What's your actual actual DC port dimensions you need to fit?

--

Reply to
dpb

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in news:lBdOn.331272$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-08.dc.easynews.com:

That's an interesting idea. It puts the TS, CMS, and bench all within the same work area. (I've tend to use the CMS table as a bench anyway.)

Hm... maybe that's a good place for a DC floor sweep drop.

Mobile tables, like dadiOH suggested, could be used for closing storage and combined together for larger assemblies.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That would give a new name to "big pasta eater."

But why? Why should I ground the dust collector? It's not like it's going to ionize the dust cloud and set the shop on fire right???????????

I did ground the planer dust collection chute... after the 3rd board the static shocks got to be too annoying.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

RE: Subject

If you don't plan to have available at least 8 ft in front and behind the table saw and a minimum of 4 ft to the left of the blade when saw is in use, sooner or later it will come back to bite you in the arse.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Length is easy if you make your own pasta*; diameter is a bit more difficult.

*KitchenAid mixer w/ pasta attachments, and if your like your own ground pork for sausage try the grinder attachment.
Reply to
Steve

They're all over the place. Flex tubing and clamps make up for a lot of sins but trying to connect anything solid to the things is iffy. I've even had problems with quick disconnects, making them nearly useless.

Port measurements Unisaw = 3.88" O.D. DW735 = 3.95" O.D. DC = 3.93" O.D. (4" port didn't measure the 6")

4" Thinwall PVC elbow = 4.26"

Some miscellaneous DC fittings:

4" to 2-1/2" reducer = 3.97" 90 degree elbow = 3.91" DC - PVC connector = 3.93" O.D. 4.36" I.D. "Y" = 4.00" Blast gate = 3.97" Male Coupling = 4.00"
Reply to
krw

OK, I see what I did...man, I'm apparently aged... :(

I _DID_ have some similar troubles but had totally forgotten what I had done. It's a combination of things including a couple wraps of metallic tape on the smaller OD fittings but the primary solution was to take the PVC fitting to the saw and slice a couple kerfs in it so it could be compressed. On the tablesaw (PM-66) I then used a bead of caulk and pan head sheet metal screws to put it in place and compress it to the port. It's not absolutely air tight, but not bad. Similar tricks elsewhere.

The other thing I used I don't know where to recommend to try to get but it works pretty well if you can find (and afford) it. In a former life I did online coal analyzer engineering support at coal mines, prep plants and utilities. In the prep plants I found flex metal duct in 4-,

5-, and 6-inch sizes and managed to acquire quite a bit of cutoffs. It serves where you've used the plastic flex w/ a similar fitting trick like on the PVC (sometimes shrink, sometimes gain a little). Another thing I've used for smaller ports is similar but cheaper is the air cleaner aspirator hose off the farm tractor -- it's readily available at any Deere or other farm supply in various sizes altho not sure up to 4" for it.

I don't have any idea what vendor the metal flex I have is; it has no discernible markings and it's been 20 years nearly and it was scavenged or "donated" rather than purchased. The link here is similar stuff...

But, I'll repeat that the biggest trick was that I just modified the fittings, particularly PVC to suit and splitting them to allow to constrict them was the biggest thing. Since they just sit there and I didn't disconnect at that point when moved, I'd completely forgotten about what I'd actually done...

--

Reply to
dpb