Shop Hazard

Page 2 of 3
On 7/25/2011 11:31 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:

Generally tool carbide isn't so highly polished as would be jewelry, though...
As for the latter question I've no firm knowledge of how an EMT would deal w/ it but I'm sure they would figure it out...

โœ–
Gerald Ross wrote:

Shouda looked it up first. Duh! They use a pair of vise-grips. Nice video on U-tube.
--
Gerald Ross

Aging is not bad. The real killer is
โœ–

I vote for an induction heating unit!
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Add pictures here
โœ–
You are probably absorbing enough of the cobalt binder in the carbide so the finger falls off by itself.
Smack it with a hammer it's brittle.
Add pictures here
โœ–
"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
dpb wrote:

I have a ring made of tungsten carbide and it shines like a new penny. After a week or wearing it the thought hit me:--if I injure the finger and they need to cut the ring off, how will they do it? I'm serious. A standard ring cutter uses a wheel with teeth like hacksaw teeth. Would a big bolt cutter break it? Inquiring minds want to know.
==================== Very easily. The same as any carbide breaks, as a mason does it. Put a small anvil on the back of it and smack it with a hardened tool tip. It shatters with impact. This is why you protect you router bits so well.
--
Eric

Add pictures here
โœ–
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 22:20:33 -0400, "Eric"

Catch the Youtube video that was discussed here a few days back. It's a simple matter with Visegrips and there is no chance of taking the finger off with it. ;-)
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 7/25/2011 8:52 AM, dpb wrote:

You need to clean you blade!
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 7/25/2011 1:27 PM, Leon wrote:

<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
Brand new picture and the carbide tips are far less "shiny" than the teeth they're attached to...
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 7/25/2011 1:53 PM, dpb wrote:

I only use Forrest blades. The carbide does indeed have a shine if not a bit of sparkle when clean and new. A picture is not going to show squat.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 7/25/2011 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

I don't use "only" Forrest blades but I certainly have some in the collection.
The picture "squat" shows there's little light reflection from the carbide tips relative to the blade body and teeth...else't if they were "shiny" they would be the brights, not the darks.
โœ–
On 7/25/2011 1:59 PM, dpb wrote:

Even a diamond is not going to sparkle or shine with out proper light.
Try this on, it is my never been cleaned or resharpened 8 month old WWII. The clean resharpened ones reflect even more. Notice the tooth near the bottom. That is a reflection of the fluorescent lamp over head. While the camera picture does not show it with the bare eye you can see the direction that the lamps run in the reflection. Because the teeth have flat surfaces the light has to be just right to see the shiny surface.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5974742585/in/photostream/lightbox /
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 7/25/2011 2:24 PM, Leon wrote: ...

And, which reinforces the point--it takes a specific set of lighting conditions hence it's not at all unusual that the other poster to whom I responded also doesn't notice that there's much "shiny" on a carbide tip.
It's the same type of lighting selection that is used to make ordinary steam from stacks or cooling towers frighten the gullible--in general the blade looks much like the marketing picture I linked to rather than anything else...
โœ–
On 7/25/2011 5:19 PM, dpb wrote:

Ok you realize that the shiny that I am talking about does not produce rather it reflects light. I had no special lighting conditions, but to get the reflection you have to be a the proper angle from the surface. A rotating saw blade give you s shine spot many times during a single rotation.
If you don't understand this I give up.
Add pictures here
โœ–

We've got two (at least) colors of flies around here. One is your standard black housefly (fruit fly?) and the other has a shiny gold back (a rich one?).
Puckdropper
Add pictures here
โœ–
Puckdropper wrote:

Due to the economy, we're just barely getting by on the standard one's here. Nothing fancy.
Bill
Add pictures here
โœ–

Yeah, it's called "How do you keep a [insert ethnicity of choice here] in suspense?"
-- [Television is] the triumph of machine over people. -- Fred Allen
Add pictures here
โœ–
In Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> typed:

And your rec.wooworking question is?
Add pictures here
โœ–
email.me:

The fly was gone last night, do you think all this discussion scared it off?
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 7/26/2011 5:45 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Probably died of old age.
Add pictures here
โœ–

Nah, it was that big fat spider lurking in that dark corner wot did it.
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011
โœ–