Shop Hazard

Page 1 of 3
In recent months, I've had to deal with a new shop hazard. It's about the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. Rather than sending a small piece of wood flying, though, it sends itself.
A table saw doesn't have a conscience, and will bite you if you treat it wrong. This shop hazard may or may not have a conscience, but is just plain mean. It'll poke you to see if you're paying attention, it'll walk all over you just to irritate, and very possibly enjoys doing it!
Irradication is proving difficult, as any attempts at irradication just shifts the problem to another location. Attempts to trap it at the other location are usually met with failure. Push sticks, sacrificial blocks, overblade guards are all effective at reducing table saw hazards, but nothing seems to work on this hazard.
If only I could just swat that fly.
Puckdropper wrote:

Do you have a dust collector? A hose connected to one is good for grabbing flying insects.
--
Gerald Ross

Aging is not bad. The real killer is

Oh! Is that why Bill Pentz recommends the 6" hose for dust collection? To make it easier to catch flying insects?
Puckdropper
On 25 Jul 2011 08:07:52 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:>In recent months, I've had to deal with a new shop hazard. It's about the

Full face mask, muffs, and long sleeves will git-r-done, Pucky.
Alternatively, insulate the shop, install a 5kw window A/C unit, and close the bloody door, ya foo.
P.S: It's "eradication"
P.P.S: Or try a window fly trap such as:
Rescue FTD-DB12 Disposable Fly Control Trap with Attractant $4 online Catches Common Nuisance and Filth Flies Includes House Flies - Blow Flies - Flesh Flies - Face Flies and Others Powder Attactant Is Contained Within The Trap Itself Attractant Dissolves and Activates Quickly When Water Is Added To The Bag Trap Design Eliminates Touching The Bait Or The Flies Completely Disposable http://goo.gl/Gs4kg
-- [Television is] the triumph of machine over people. -- Fred Allen

Irradication is the same as eradication, except it is done with tiny nuclear devices.
On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 06:27:29 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Nuke the li'l bastids, eh? Cool. Animated GIF at 11?
-- [Television is] the triumph of machine over people. -- Fred Allen

I see why it was so hard. I was just trying to swat the bugger, when I needed a small nuclear reactor!
Puckdropper
On 26 Jul 2011 05:00:28 GMT, Puckdropper

Right. Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then swat 'em in the dark, when they can't see it coming.
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was thinking more along the lines of a nuclear hand grenade.... It doesn't need to be pointed out that one would need one hell of an arm.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 06:33:05 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch are just as effective and much, much safer, I believe, as long as one knows how to count.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

To three that is...not two...not four..... one of my favourite parts of the movie.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 09:23:33 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

So THAT'S where you learned to count! How nice.
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Puckdropper says...

You laugh, but it's been done--irradiate fruit flies so that they're sterile then turn them loose to mate with female fruit flies who fail to become pregnant. It wasn't called "irradication" but I suspect that that's because nobody thought of it.
On 7/25/2011 3:07 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

So is this a riddle?

Just a whimsical way of complaining about a fly... but if you want to use it as such have fun.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in

Glad you clarified that. I couldn't figure out what I should be doing different to prevent a carbide tooth flying off my saw from hitting my sensitive parts (eyes, fingers and such - the other stuff I don't care about anymore - hmpfff).
--
Best regards
Han

The true ninja wooddorker uses miniature HSS shuriken blades when he throws them at the flies. They don't lose their teeth.
-- Win first, Fight later.
--martial principle of the Samurai
On 7/25/2011 7:57 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got me, Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)
On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote: ...

I don't see much shine on carbide, typically, either... :)
dpb wrote:

I have a ring made of tungsten carbide and it shines like a new penny. After a week or wearing it the thought hit me:--if I injure the finger and they need to cut the ring off, how will they do it? I'm serious. A standard ring cutter uses a wheel with teeth like hacksaw teeth. Would a big bolt cutter break it? Inquiring minds want to know.