Shop Guest

Page 4 of 4
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:43:19 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-

As I said, it was a smaller diameter than your average broom, prolly 5/8" of the softest SPF known to man. It was also a larger possum (larger than most house cats) and we had taunted it to no end. Believe what you will.

No, I alluded to that. Animal Control people often warn folks about nocturnal animals if they're seen in the daylilght. I also said it was possible that someone ousted it from its resting place. That's called "advice", and you can take or leave it; Your choice.

OK, I'll give you that one. Rabies is improbable in possums.

Go kick/shove one a dozen times with your foot and then stick your finger in their mouth. It'll show you "go", son. Foo!

Are not to be tangled with, either.
--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
scrawled the following:

Long, long ago, I was going out the driveway (wooded area) and a tiny possum ran across in front of the pickup. It was small enough that it probably was riding on its Momma hours earlier. It was most likely weaned and off on its own first adventure. I caught it and it went through all the possum antics: First, it was so fierce that it threatened to rip my body to shreds. Then, it was foaming at the mouth and obviously "too sick" for me to pick up. Finally, it "died" right there and obviously I'd not want to eat a dead possum: particularly one that had "died" of being so "sick."
About that time, my daughter's school bus let her off in front of the drive, so I handed her the "dead" baby possum and told her she had a new pet. She took it to the house and gave it a bath, combed and powdered it. That night, I asked her where her little possum was and she said, "Daddy, I put it out in the back yard. It was just too ugly to be a pet."
--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
Larry Jaques wrote:

In another post I was accused of changing the circumstances to fit my story. :-)

Ooo, a typo. I never said anything about that advice being good or bad.

You don't have to give me anything. It's a fact, not an opinion. And since you're so into pointing out typos, we're talking about opossums, not those little guys who live in Australia.

What does that prove? I'm not aggressive either, but if someone kicks and shoves me a dozen times I might show some teeth.
When I think, "aggressive," I think of something looking for a fight, something that comes at you before it runs away from you. Opossums are quite the opposite.
And BTW, I have poked and prodded them with a stick... a broom handle, in fact, in an attempt to get one off the porch. That attempt was almost as stupid as sticking my finger in it's mouth. When I decided to use my brain, I put a cat crate next to him, which he promptly climbed into for easy transport back to the woods.
A buddy of mine used to just shine a light in their eyes and grab 'em by the tail. I'm not that brave. I don't want to lose a finger. :-)
--

-MIKE-

They are all around here and are known to kill dogs if cornered.
Beloved and I were mowing and cleaning around the shop last week and found a yearling in a ball. It was in a pallet under a large box I used to paint upon. Both were burnt with the brush.
They are also fast on their feet.
Martin
Larry Jaques wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Opossum?
Where's around here? Three Mile Island?
--

-MIKE-

East Texas - the south in general. Water and cover makes a happy habitat.
Martin
-MIKE- wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

I know things are bigger in Texas, but I still don't believe you. :-)
It totally goes against their nature/instinct.
I've heard of many, many instances of dogs killing opossums, bet not one the other way.
--

-MIKE-

And who knows if you have a yearling that got left behind and the sow, the nasty one, got away.
Just don't get one cornered and have it come out and bite you in the eyes or snout. Then it is the neck before it runs off.
Martin
-MIKE- wrote:

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 20:37:47 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"

I've seen them put up a pretty good fight up here in Ontario - perhaps they never learned from the Mommy how to "play possum".
Raise as much ruckus with the neighbour's dogs as a small coon.