Shop Guest

Page 3 of 4

Any chance he has an inside line on a secret stash of lumber???
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:04:01 -0500, the infamous Swingman

Hehehe. That's one little guy you don't want to rile. A friend and I cornered one at a park and watched it bite a broom handle IN HALF. Dem funny lookin' critters is downright lethal, ah reckon.
I wonder who threw him out of his home in the daylight like that. They're usually quite nocturnal. Nocturnal creatures who come out in the daylight are usually either dis-homed or rabid. Caution!
Larry Jaques wrote:

Hmmmm, sure about that? Was the broom all rotted or something?
--

-MIKE-

Could have been my ex's broom. It had a lot of (air) miles on it.
Robatoy wrote:

Ba-dop, PSSSSHHH!
Is this her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYtgsLnEl38
?
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I'll be here all week. Try the veal. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:34:40 -0500, the infamous -MIKE-

i don't recall that it was rotted. It was a cheap broom which came with a dustpan which had been left in the park. Those guys have really large and nasty teeth. Do NOT rile them! They could take your finger off in one quick chomp.
http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/blog/opossumteeth.jpg
--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
Larry Jaques wrote:

Yes, their teeth are comically frightening, but as wild animals go they actually have a relatively weak bite and certainly couldn't bite clean through a broom handle, nor adult finger.
You also eluded to them possibly be rabid if seen during the day, which is also very improbable. An opossum's body temperature is too low to host most viruses, including rabies. They're not aggressive either, hence the saying "playing opossum." That hissing they do with the big open mouth is really all show and no go.
Raccoons, on the other hand.... :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- said:

Unless they have young. then all bets are off. DAMHIKT - experiences from childhood.

Are quite intelligent and can be tamed, but the rabies factor...
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Had a pet coon for about three years. Not something I would want to do again. Though cute while young, they get BIG and STRONG; will climb to the top of everything, including drapes, blinds, your head, etc; can open anything in the house, including the refrigerator; and you don't want to piss one off ... it's like living with a mean, nosy old woman.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman said:

I sure wouldn't keep one in the house. Leave it in the wild, but they'll stop by and beg for (demand?) food if they "know you." They'll also enter any opening in your house for winter shelter, no matter how high or improbable...
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

This one would take any shiny object it could find, utensils, rings, jewelery, etc, and anything you fed it, straight to the nearest toilet and wash it off. We fed it the same dry dog food as the dogs, and it would do the same with dog food, perched on the toilet bowl, always looking away while it was washing the dog food, then looking back at its now empty paws with a puzzled look on its face.
Played well with the dog and cat. Actually a very clean pet, never failed to use the cat litter box in the garage and didn't need to be trained to do so, but about the beginning of its third year got too rambunctious to let into the house, so we took it to the farm and let it loose, where we saw it periodically for a few years, then nevermore.
My oldest daughter, who now lives in England, uses stories of "Terri, the coon" when growing up in the wilds of Texas, to entertain both hers and the neighbors children.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

How do they taste?

I don't know about nosy old women, raccoon is dark and gamey with a very coarse texture, kinda like beaver.
basilisk
Coon is a bit chewy and greasy. Most are made into stew or chili. So I am to understand from those who have been to a deer camp and that was what was in the pot for dinner. Lots of them are hunted and eaten around here.
Squirrel and Possum as well.
Martin
basilisk wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

When I was a kid a guy bought a couple of black and tans to hunt coon.
Was told he spent something like $5-600 for the pair.
(!950's money)
First time out, they rounded up a rabbit.
Guy shot them on the spot.
Lew
I think it is legal to hunt coon with dogs - not for deer.
I know a coon dog trainer that makes functional dogs for a price.
Martin
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Tell you what, a terrier makes a lovely fish. I could do that for you now. Legs off, fins on, simple metal tube through the back of the head so it could breathe, bits of gold paint... Make good?
<http://www.skepticfiles.org/en001/monty22.htm

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/420.jpg
charlie said:

OMG - step up to the root of the domain for a real show:
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com /
Greg G.