Shop Guest

Page 1 of 4
Dropped by right after breakfast, walked right up and introduced himself as I was ripping stock for an appliance garage. Hung around for lunch, begged part of my ham sandwich, then left with out so much as "by your leave". Didn't lift a hand, but watched everything closely and appeared to be taking notes.
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG00104-20090927-1045.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG00106-20090927-1046.jpg
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Leon wrote:

Hehe ... weathers not quite right yet for possum sauce piquant. Hit 98 in shop this afternoon.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Yeah but "that" Hot Sauce would make'em taste OK. It was about 98 in my shop today too along with a touch of humidity just over 97%. ;~)

It woulda been 98 in my shop, too. Mauser 98..... yum!
nb
Leon wrote:

102 and 10% in the AZ desert.
- Doug

And I know from experience that with that kind of humidity and temp it feels like 70 to us from Houston. Last time my wife and I were in Moab the temp was around 107 at noon. Mixed with the low humidity we found it entertaining to visit the gift shops and the owners commenting how hot it was. It was a delightful day for us.

Averaged about 85 in the shop today.. with the AC on most of the day.. about 106 outside..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

marSOUPial?
Regards,
Swingman wrote:

:-)
They're very curious, when they're young like that. We get them every spring, and they sure are cute.
Even when they get older, they're not aggressive, like people think. That defensive pose they strike, when cornered, looks pretty viscous with those crazy teeth and all and the hissing.
They also are not disease-ridden and dangerous to your pets, like many think. Their body temperatures are actually too low to host most mammal viruses like rabies.
Because they're almost blind when not in the dark, it's pretty easy to catch them by just putting a box or crate right next to them. They'll climb right inside, trying to escape the light.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Many years ago, on a Sunday afternoon in the control room of a recording studio, I was attempting to lay down a bass track on a tune that just had to be finished that day. I was alone, there was no way to punch-in a 24 track in those days without re-winding and starting over, and only one track was left open so I couldn't comp it. I'd already had half a dozen shots at it from the top and was finally in the pocket and grooving on the last chorus when I caught a movement out the corner of my eye.
WTF? This was in a big city, no way in hell a curly haired, white, baby possum is going to walk into a recording studio, in broad daylight, downtown, in a big city, right?
Like hell!
Little shit walked right up to my tapping right foot, set himself down, looked up, and comfortably made himself an audience.
But, there was also NO way in hell I was going to stop playing, even for Godzilla, with only 30 seconds left to go on the best take of the day!
Only slight rattled, I managed to keep the groove, and while holding the last note long enough for the long fade the tune was supposed have, that little shit looked up at me as if say "Well, that wasn't all that bad, might wanna keep that one!", yawned, turned around and walked out.
(He did show up about a week later at the adjoining club next door and scared the shit out of the girls behind the bar ... but that's another story.)
That's twice now .... deja vu all over again.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Fellow musoid... didn't know.
Shame you didn't have a digital work station, you could've looped the section and let it record over and over, saving each take as you went.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

My very first exposure to a digital recorder as an engineer in the late 70's was the Sony PCM-F10 ... that was cutting edge, high tech that only the big boys got to play with. Then I personally bought the F1/VCR combo and carried it around to various studios to mix to in the early 80's.
We thought we were hot shit with digital anything back in those days ... and I still hate digital as much as I ever did. Give me a 2" 24 track, smpte'd to a 16 trk 2" for drums and bass, running 30ips, and I'll tickle your bottom with bass and kick like you haven't heard in 20 years!
I still play, but realized I'd lost the "golden ears" about 10 years ago for studio work, although the last album I engineered/produced was about three years ago ... I got tired of turning the control room monitors to 11 to answer the question "What was that (noise)?"
I really don't miss the pro studio life ... it was a crazy life, and a helluva lot of fun, but gets old the older you get.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Rats carry and spread 35 diseases. In the middle ages, they wiped out 25% of the population of europe.

Not a rat, Stuart, but an American marsupial known as an opposum, supposedly a delicacy in the southern US.
Luigi
In article

OK. Sorry, I didn't recognise it and someone mentioned pet rats. I put two and two together and made 5.
Stuart wrote:

Glad to hear it. What's your point?
--

-MIKE-

What is the point of your gratuitous sarcasm? This is not a political thread.
Had you bothered to look at Stuart's address, you would have seen it end with "uk". Maybe, as a consequence, you might have realized that he may not be entirely familiar with southern American fauna and mistook the possum for a rat.
I think an apology is order.
Luigi
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Get over it. He's a big boy, I think he can stick up for himself.
--

-MIKE-