Shop fox vs powermatic 20" planer

Ok -- I have have the ooprtunity to get either one of these for 1200.00 bux.(Both brand new ) The difference is the SF is the 5hp model. From previous posts I have read - they are pretty much the same machine.

Is the SH motor really a 5 HP??? (Or is it that much better than the PM?)

Normally - the choice would be a no brainer - same price - get the bigger motor - but Im not that familer w/ the SF brand. I do have a 8" PM jointer that I am very happy w/.

Any thoughs would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Rob

Reply to
Rob V

Sweet Sawdust

Bull!!! Tell me how too much HP can be a problem.

Reply to
Morgans

Which post are you reading? He/she did not say that too much HP is a "problem".

The meaning that I got was that you can buy more than you need and/or will use ("more than is really useful", to paraphrase).

I tend to agree...my 1.5hp TS serves me well...5hp would be wasted money (for me).

Reply to
Chris Merrill

Point taken about the use of the words.

I must use my TS and BS in a much more demanding manner. Ripping some nice wet pressure treated 2 X 8, , a 5 HP motor is barely acceptable, to me. Any less, and I get impatient.

On the BS, resaving a 8" tall piece of oak will take all the HP you can get. I have 3 HP, and still kick out the thermals on the motor occasionally.

So while some may think that more HP is unnecessary, I will take all I can get! :-)

Jim (some call me Tim) the toolman Taylor (I mean Morgan)

Reply to
Morgans

Ever run that fun and games "what's my horsepower" lab in seventh grade? Remember what your horsepower was?

How did they _ever_ saw wood before there was Norm?

Reply to
George

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust