Shop fox vs powermatic 20" planer

Ok -- I have have the ooprtunity to get either one of these for 1200.00 bux.(Both brand new ) The difference is the SF is the 5hp model. From previous posts I have read - they are pretty much the same machine.
Is the SH motor really a 5 HP??? (Or is it that much better than the PM?)
Normally - the choice would be a no brainer - same price - get the bigger motor - but Im not that familer w/ the SF brand. I do have a 8" PM jointer that I am very happy w/.
Any thoughs would be appreciated.
Thanks -Rob
On a TS or BS, router etc you can get too much horse power to be really useful, on a planner I don't believe it is possible to get to much hp. Shopfox tools are upgraded Grizzly tools with better fit and finish and higher cost. I Like Grizzly so I would go with the Shopfox over the PM for the same money. I would also look at the Grizzly for the cost.

PM?)
jointer

Bull!!! Tell me how too much HP can be a problem.
--
Jim in NC

Morgans wrote:

Which post are you reading? He/she did not say that too much HP is a "problem".
The meaning that I got was that you can buy more than you need and/or will use ("more than is really useful", to paraphrase).
I tend to agree...my 1.5hp TS serves me well...5hp would be wasted money (for me).
--
************************************
Chris Merrill

Point taken about the use of the words.
I must use my TS and BS in a much more demanding manner. Ripping some nice wet pressure treated 2 X 8, , a 5 HP motor is barely acceptable, to me. Any less, and I get impatient.
On the BS, resaving a 8" tall piece of oak will take all the HP you can get. I have 3 HP, and still kick out the thermals on the motor occasionally.
So while some may think that more HP is unnecessary, I will take all I can get! :-)
Jim (some call me Tim) the toolman Taylor (I mean Morgan)
Ever run that fun and games "what's my horsepower" lab in seventh grade? Remember what your horsepower was?
How did they _ever_ saw wood before there was Norm?

nice
get.
OK I will: I have two routers one a 1/4 hp trim router and one 3 hp plunge router. I am going to rout 200 small blocks of wood (11" x6" x 6") using a 3/8" round over bit and no router table. The small router weighs under a pound and can be used with either hand, the plunge router weighs in at about 5 pounds (guess) and takes both hands to hold. Both will do the job equally well, why would I haul around 4 3/4 pounds of weight and more bulk for no increased performance (maybe I just like to wear myself out). more is not always better. You can under power tools and cause a problem no doubt, and some tools such as a planner need all they can get, but you can overpower tools also, my 3hp TS cuts just as well as a friends 5hp saw, costs less and uses less power a 1 1/2 hp TS works as well as my 3hp for another friend but would bog on me at times, you match the tools hp to your needs.