Shop Fox Mortising machine

I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with the Shop Fox mortising machine. There was a thread about a year ago and I wanted to hear from someone who owns and uses it. It seems to offer more for the buck than Delta and Jet. Thanks.

Reply to
Tom

On the same thread, what do people think is the best mortising machine? I am leaning towards the Delta because they swivel 180 degrees away from the base so that I can put mortises into any thickness wood..

stacey

Reply to
Skippy

Workbench Magazine recently tested mortising machines. Delta was the top rated, Jet was the best under $200. They did not test the Shop Fox though.

They did mention that the 3450 rpm is not an advantage (can cause burning of the wood) as is higher horsepower. They tested a 1 hp that did not perform as well as the 1/2 hp Delta. That said, the Shop Fox has greater capacity; a big plus if you do big projects. It also has about 40 pounds more weight if that is a benefit.

The Shopfox can be had for about $50 less with one bit, the Delta has four. This brings up another question. The Shop Fox can handle a 3/4" bit. If you want a 3/4" mortise, do you make two passes with a 3/8"? Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Leon