Shop Fox DC Remote: Switching only 1 phase?

Hi, I got a 220v Shop Fox DC remote control, the $38 stuff from Grizzly. It is not a long ranger. On curiosity I opened up the unit and the first thing I noticed is that one of the phases going straight to one outlet pin of the NEMA 6-20 receptacle. The other phase is controlled by the relay and a small PCB.

So, when the unit is in OFF position but powered by the mains supply, one of its NEMA 6-20R is always live! Before hooking it up to anything else I checked my suspicion and it is true. Between that live phase and ground I got 120v as expected. Between both the phases there is 0v when the unit is in OFF position.

When the DC is turned off by this remote I dare not touch any electrical part of that motor...even though the box clearly says it is "remote control switch". My idea of a switch was a little more on the safer side. How would you like your table lamp to be on live side of the switch? Is this a norm for 220v stuff or am I missing something? Are all remote controls for 220v DCs like that? I believe PennState has it too. Regard. kp.

Reply to
kp

Yes, it would be best to switch both legs on 220 volt, but it is not as unsafe as you fear! If properly wired your motor's frame is wired directly to ground. Your home air conditioner probably has a single pole contactor running the compressor, very typical. I would not worry about it. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

It is legal to use this as a controller as long as you have a means of disconnect that opens both legs. Just be aware of what you have.

Reply to
Greg

interesting find, kp. I use Shop Fox 110V remotes and once in a while they turn on by themselves. I got a replacement for one that had a tendency to turn on accidentally way too often. I use one for a shop vac and one for the DC. It's a bit unnerving to hear the whine of either in the middle of the night! :) Morale of my short story is never work on the equipment while it is plugged in to the remote.

dave

kp wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I'm not sure about other remotes, but in any case, I don't think I would ever touch the "electrical part" of any motor while it was plugged, regardless of whether it was on the downstream of a switch or not.

One thought, check out the switch on the DC -- does it just switch one phase or both?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita