Shop Dogs and Cats - Bah! Shop Doves?

One of the nice things about lathe work is that it's relatively quiet. that means youcan hear what's going on outside as well as else- where in the shop.
This morning I kept hearing a sound I couldn't identify. Eventualy my curiousity got the better of me and I went in search of the source of the sound.
Took a while to find the dove sitting in the rafters- watching - and cooing. Didn't seem to mind sharing the shop with me. Very pleasant having a dove cooing while you're turning. An hour later another dove flew in to join the adventurous one. There are advantages to leaving the two car garage door open.
So mornings may be spent with doves. In the afternoon I have two or three humming birds stop in for a visit. One of them is a brave little SOB, practically sits on my shoulder to watch what I'm doing.
A shop dog or cat is ok, but shop doves and humming birds . . .
charlie b

Hmmm. Birds in the shop rafters - what's that new finish you're using? Sort of a limed oak? Seriously, though, that's cool. Working wood and enjoying nature sounds to me like an day well-spent! Andy
or "a" day well spent...
A couple of years ago, my shop snake ate my shop lizard. Seriously. Tom
On 20 Apr 2006 22:18:16 -0700, tom wrote:

I keep my snakes caged. Can't have them running around the shop. Might end up in the dust collector!
--
Art

"Andy" wrote...

Years ago I was spraying outside, and kept getting little pink spots in the finish. First time I'd ever seen that, and was baffled. Looked around and saw one of those little plastic hummingbird feeders filled with red sugar water nearby. Kept a watch out, and sure enough, the hummingbirds were flying over and pooping on my book-matched crotch figure African mahogany door panels. The little bastids.
-- Timothy Juvenal www.rude-tone.com/work.htm
charlie b wrote:

My shop cat brings those with her...
er
--
email not valid

"charlie b" wrote...

Sounds like good company!
My shop has a big old brick chimney - more of a smokestack, really. Every spring the chimney swallows return to my chimney. You can see them outside all day flitting around all over town. On occasion, one will fly in the door, and it's mate will sit outside my window awaiting it's return. In the evening all the swallows all around town begin to fly in a big loose counter-clockwise circle, which becomes tighter and tighter as more and more of the birds join in. Then, they start diving into the chimney, all the while the rest of the birds are circling in a tighter and tighter circle. Often, one will start to go into the chimney, then back off and wait for another shot. By last light, they've all made it back into the chimney. Tell you one thing, mosquitos are never a problem around here.
-- Timothy Juvenal www.rude-tone.com/work.htm
We once has some swallows build a nest under the front porch overhang, right over he front door. I let them do it becasue I thought it would be a great science and nature project for my kids to watch. They nested and had two sets of three chicks.
I hadn't counted on the massive amounts of birdshit. I couldn't bring myself to destroy hte nest until the chicks left.
They next spring, they all tried to come back. And the spring after that, and the spring after that.... It's been 10-12 years and every now and then, I STILL get one trying to come back.
-Zz
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:25:31 GMT, "Hambone Slim"

says...

Big cardboard box w. several layers of old newspapers under the nest; with a boulder or a couple of bricks to hold it in place.
I love the noise they make, and I love the job they do. Had some on the lampshade in the half-enclosed back porch for years, until the lampshade broke. Sadly, the 'new' wife (new 8 yrs ago) doesn't like them at the house.
-P.

Yeah but if two of those hummers show up at the same time remember to duck out of the way....
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
charlie b wrote:

I kinda like my shop rooster. He actually belongs next door but he is old and the younger roosters kicked him out. Somehow, I empathize with him :(
--
dadiOH

Sounds like your shop is for the birds, Charlie...

Mac
charlie b wrote:
[snip]>

Mom always said that I had bats in my belfry...     j4

All I can think of is:
" ..... My oh my, I'm glad that _cows_ don't fly!"