Shop dog LOVES oak!

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Were that farmer's chicken bones cooked, or raw? I have heard that it is the cooked bones that present a danger, but that raw bones are digested easily. I don't know if it's true, but it makes sense.
er
--
email not valid

I'd figure it was the other way around, but if it's true, my guess would be that raw bones splinter differently than cooked ones.
Upscale wrote:

Cooked.. He'd eat the chicken and toss the bones to his dogs. Scared the crap out of me, and when I brought up the issue of punctured intestines, he scoffed.
Since his dogs lived I guess that while it may be an unsafe practice it isn't certain death either. Sort of like not using a splitter on your tablesaw. There was a time when tablesaws didn't have splitters and people didn't get kickback on every ripping cut.
--

FF

Upscale wrote:

I was thinking of what the dog's family's been doing since everyone was a neander... they and their wild cousins have been chewing up the bones of smaller animals and breaking up and chewing the bones of larger animals for a long time, without cooking them.
And that it was an "essential skill". :)
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

I commented once to my father that I had heard that dogs have trouble digesting pork. He asked "How do you think dogs survived befor people started feeding them?"
OTOH, I would expect that more razorbacks eat dogs than vice-versa.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

When I was wee, we hunted feral pigs in NorCal. They were scary enough, but I've always wondered what sort of beast a Razorback is.
Once in Germany I had a closeup look at a european wild pig (wildschwein). Young or fully grown, I would NOT want to run into one of those in the woods with anything less than a bazooka.
er
--
email not valid

Be careful about allowing your dog to chew on wood, bones, or anything that can get stuck in them.
One day, I came home from work at lunchtime to check on my two dogs. One of them was making funny faces at me that I had never seen before. After much patting and checking, I finally discovered why:
She had been chewing on a stick and bit down hard on it. The left half fell off to the left... the right half fell off to the right... and the middle half was stuck between her upper teeth!
Luckily, nothing was caught in her throat.