Shop color choices ..

Re-reading my post, it wasn't as crisply clear as it might have been. I mean the original 300W halogen, *plus* another three 100W incandescent bulbs. I'm burning 600W for half the light. Even if we allow that the indandescent fixture is only half as efficient as the halogen, I'm still putting the equivalent of 450W of halogen light into a room that used to be quite bright with only one lamp at 80% of full brightness.

Wall color makes a *big* difference. Or perhaps in this case the ceiling color is a bigger factor. Either way.

Reply to
Silvan

He really missed the ball with that one. Grossly over-estimated how far we would come. Jupiter by 2010? Not bloody likely.

Maybe China. Not America. We're out of the game now. We can't even get to our own damn space station.

Reply to
Silvan

I just painted my shop, used semi-gloss white. No problems with glare.

24 x 38 foot shop, 24 two foot flouresant fixtures, 5 or so 100 watt incandesants. Greg
Reply to
Greg O

Consider that you are going to cover the walls with tools and wood and shelves and other crap and over all that a coat of sawdust. And you'll never clean it. So the color doesn't really matter as long as it's not hot pink or something and not too dark. Our local dump has Hazardous Waste Day once a month where people bring in among other things lots of left over paint. I can do the planet a favor and get free paint in the deal. Maybe there is something similar in your area.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Get your priorities right. Demolish the living room so you can have a cathedral ceiling in the basement shop. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Is that sky blue, baby blue, navy or royal? White? What shade? Yellow?..canary, cornmeal or sunflower yellow? Tan? Do you mean beige? It is hard to suggest something not knowing what shades!

Just joking!

Maybe you should post on a photo message board about what colors correct fluorescent lighting.

Reply to
JD

But our problem isn't technology or manufacturing, it is the will to do it. If we decided to we could be to Jupiter by 2010 easily using technology we've already developed. Getting back after landing might be a bit more complicated, however. ;-)

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

That's a good plan. I also always check the Borg for mis-mixed paint in light colors. Sometimes you can get a light tan or something that will at least work for cabinets and stuff.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

White... ack. Go for the yellow or whatever makes it feel more comfortable for you, that's my opinion. Color has a noticeable effect on people's moods. All white with flourescent lights would make me feel like I'm at work. I spend all day under flourescents and around drab cube walls. Mine is primed white at the moment, and will be getting a splash of yellow or whatever bright color I find I have left over. If it takes an extra fixture to make up absorbed light, so be it.

Guess it depends on where you fall on the practical/esthetic spectrum. Do you ever buy cars that aren't very practical, but look cool and are a blast to drive? Or more the strict utilitarian vehicle - you don't care what it looks like as long as it carries all the cargo and people you need to transport. Or somewhere in-between?

Reply to
Keith Carlson

True. That's just it though. There's no will to do it. I can watch the History Channel and imagine what it was like during the Space Race, but my lifetime has been dedicedly boring in this area. I was born in '72. We had the shuttle, which was very exciting at first. I have no idea how many different versions of the Columbia I put together. Plastic, wood, popsicle sticks, Lego, Loc Block, the Moonraker version... Usually with a Hubble Telescope, which was going to be very exciting.

They didn't even launch the telescope until probably more than a decade after those early years, and now they're already talking about scuttling it. The ISS is a real snoozer too. Some little odd collection of tin cans floating up there somewhere misunderstood and unappreciated. It may actually *be* exciting, but it doesn't get any press, and nobody cares. I don't care either, really.

We need to send a probe into Europa to see if Clarke's plant thing is in there. He was wrong about the sands of Mars, but there's still time to give him one more shot before he kicks off. (Or has he already? He has to be what, 150, 200 years old by now? :)

Reply to
Silvan

That's why my living room is sky blue, and my shop will be white when I get around to painting it.

I *want* the shop to be operating theater bright. It's a good mood to set.

I'd probably feel differently if I did the workaday office cubicle thing though. My office has a brown ceiling, bad lighting at night, ugly brown carpeting all over everything, and it vibrates like crazy. The scenery in front of my window changes constantly though.

I go for whatever somebody bought me as a graduation present... :) At least so far. Dad never figured I'd still be driving this car all these (ten) years later, but the damn thing still runs, and I haven't broken 100,000 miles yet.

I guess one of these days I'm going to have to figure out how to buy a car. Can't be worse than buying a house, which I already did. I figure I'll buy a new car so I don't have to worry about the previous owner, then try to get 25-30 years out of it before I buy another one.

Reply to
Silvan

Personally, I hate flourescent lights - I find that I do not get accurate feelings for the colours that are illuminated by them, and I don't feel comfortable under flourescent light - call me wierd!

My shop is lit with incandescent floods, the walls and floor are wood, and there is a very warm feel to the shop. I am happy just sitting up there drinking a cup of coffee and staring out the window.

Reply to
Mark in Maine