Shop Class as Soulcraft

A good article on a topic that has come up here a number of times is in The New Atlantis

of the "jobs of the future" rhetoric surrounding the eagerness to end shop class and get every warm body into college, thence into a cubicle, implicitly assumes that we are heading to a "post-industrial" economy in which everyone will deal only in abstractions. Yet trafficking in abstractions is not the same as thinking...

Summary lifted from a site I read, MetaFilter.

damian penney