Shop Cabinet Door

Just so you know, I'm not completely heartless when it comes to birds.

*These* birds I was cheering for. :)
Dave

I can't say that the noise of any hen or rooster for that matter is any worse than a barking dog. Yes I have been around both and you simply get used to the noise.

Reply to
Leon

I'll take a rooster over a barking dog -any- day. I've lived next to both. Constant barking is not something sane people get used to. Nice neighbors curb their dog's barking, but nowadays, most neighbors are not nice.

-- Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David M. Burns

Reply to
Larry Jaques

>> I have to question how long it will last. Roosters crowing at sunrise

Damned city wusses ... wouldn't know a Plymouth Rock from a White Leghorn unless it was in a cartoon on TV.

:)

So, C_Less ... all this Libertarian ranting is just that, as long as _you_ get to decide who does what?

Reply to
Swingman

goes to shows you ... any country boy will tell you in a heartbeat that ducks, and geese, are far far far more objectionable, and vile, than any flock of hens that ever lived ... those cute little ducks will make your pigeons look like altar boys. :)

Reply to
Swingman

So, you punish them all, instead of just the irresponsible ones.

Reply to
Swingman

I haven't had any real experience with ducks, but I have run into some Canada Geese down at Toronto Island. The way those birds hiss at you and then attack had me thinking I'd rather deal with a pit bull. Those birds are *mean*.

It's also the reason why I stopped going down there a good ten years ago. You couldn't go two feet in any direction without stepping in goose shit. I've mentioned this previously, but it deserves mention again.

Guess you can tell eh? I'm not a bird person.

Reply to
Dave

Dave, I too live in Toronto, but not downtown, we have two houses in the area with pigeon coops in the backyard, and they both let the flock out every now and then. Let's just say I am glad we aren't any closer to either of them.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

With the bleeding heart nanny laws in place these days, the irresponsible ones are starting to outnumber the responsible ones. Very few are willing to stand up for their values these days, because they get shouted down by the rank and file.

People are getting lazier and greedier as time goes by. I guess I can't blame them. Look at our politicians these days pigging out on the public pig trough with their attitudes of entitlement. Very few examples of how to live there.

DAGS on Bev Oda or Conrad Black.

Reply to
Dave

How do you get used to a barking dog? Especially at 2am.

People who keep their dogs outside 24/7 and let them bark all night are just inconsiderate and rude. And it has nothing to do with security... those things cry wolf at all hours for every leaf that drops. They'd probably *stop* barking if a thief showed up, because they'd think he was going let them out of their pen.

Glad I got that off my chest. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

---------------------------------- Geese AKA nature's manure generator.

Around here, "Guard Geese" are not uncommon.

Can make more noise than barking dogs.

You never want to get between mama goose and her clutch.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What he said. Exactly.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Would too! Plymouth rock is like Bostonian Top 40 (ICK!) and Foghorn was grey.

My last girlfriend had bunches of chickens. They occasionally got noisy and interrupted our phone conversations. She had over a dozen different types, but I never got their names. Some were checkerboard (barred Ply Rocks?), had poofy hairdos (Polish or silkie?), and prolly leghorns and regular Reds.

Just so you know, I have a 1/3 acre lot with one house on the east side. North of it and me are 4+ acres of horse pasture and one barn. To my west are 11+ acres of cattle grazing land. To my south is an acre of orchard.

The big city (Grants Pass, population: 34,533) is 3.5 miles northwest of me. It's in 1,642 sq. mi. Josephine County, population: 82,713. Not exactly "big city" turf, is it?

(No, the statue is of my other brother, Darrell.)

If your neighbor has a constantly barking dog or teenage drummer, how could you possibly feel that the neighbor wasn't infringing on your right to a sane (aka: quiet) lifestyle? Libertarian ways allow you to whack his peepee for it, which is only fair.

-- Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David M. Burns

Reply to
Larry Jaques

PUNISH? "Hey, she has chickens. Why can't I have a rhinoceros?"

-- Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David M. Burns

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You can have one as soon as Denny's serves their eggs on toast and KFC's fries their drumsticks and thighs.

Reply to
Swingman

Limits, limits ... one cicada won't deafen you; a summer cast of thousands will make you take out the ear plugs.

Whoa there, country boy ... how far to the closet Wal-Mart?

In college I had a totally deaf neighbor call the police on my basset hound because of the way he was looking up in the tree in the back yard ... she just knew he had to be barking.

Reply to
Swingman

Now, go get them damn kids off your lawn, and a high colonic, you'll be back to normal.

Reply to
Swingman

You had a basset hound? *Now* I know why you support people having chickens. You don't care about *anyone* else.

:)

Reply to
Dave

??

Yep, love to see friends and neighbors having hens. There is nothing like fresh eggs that didn't come from chickens full of drugs.

The way things are going with the food supply in this country, you may soon be wishing for something homegrown to eat:

while you snooze, the fox buys the henhouse:

Swingman

Maybe so, but my admittedly critical view of people is that if they can get away with something, they will attempt to do so. Safety, health or just plain cleanliness, however you want to label it, is something that needs to be mandated and enforced. There's just too many people who refuse to or can't be bothered to follow regulations.

Yup, I understand you're all about freedoms and liberty, one of the foundations that the US (and North American society) is founded on. Ideally, I support that viewpoint, but I also acknowledge that it *is* an ideal viewpoint and not as directly applicable to our society at large as you make it sound.

Reply to
Dave