Shop Cabinet Door

I'll take a rooster over a barking dog -any- day. I've lived next to both. Constant barking is not something sane people get used to. Nice neighbors curb their dog's barking, but nowadays, most neighbors are not nice. <sigh>
-- Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David M. Burns
On 5/3/12 6:53 AM, Leon wrote:

How do you get used to a barking dog? Especially at 2am.
People who keep their dogs outside 24/7 and let them bark all night are just inconsiderate and rude. And it has nothing to do with security... those things cry wolf at all hours for every leaf that drops. They'd probably *stop* barking if a thief showed up, because they'd think he was going let them out of their pen.
Glad I got that off my chest. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 5/3/2012 9:52 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

What he said. Exactly.
On 5/3/2012 9:52 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Now, go get them damn kids off your lawn, and a high colonic, you'll be back to normal. <g>
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 5/2/2012 9:51 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/georgetown-makes-it-easier-for-residents-to-raise-2325410.html?cxtype=rss_ece_frontpage
Damned city wusses ... wouldn't know a Plymouth Rock from a White Leghorn unless it was in a cartoon on TV.
:)
So, C_Less ... all this Libertarian ranting is just that, as long as _you_ get to decide who does what?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Would too! Plymouth rock is like Bostonian Top 40 (ICK!) and Foghorn was grey.
My last girlfriend had bunches of chickens. They occasionally got noisy and interrupted our phone conversations. She had over a dozen different types, but I never got their names. Some were checkerboard (barred Ply Rocks?), had poofy hairdos (Polish or silkie?), and prolly leghorns and regular Reds.
Just so you know, I have a 1/3 acre lot with one house on the east side. North of it and me are 4+ acres of horse pasture and one barn. To my west are 11+ acres of cattle grazing land. To my south is an acre of orchard.
The big city (Grants Pass, population: 34,533) is 3.5 miles northwest of me. It's in 1,642 sq. mi. Josephine County, population: 82,713. Not exactly "big city" turf, is it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grants_Pass (No, the statue is of my other brother, Darrell.)

If your neighbor has a constantly barking dog or teenage drummer, how could you possibly feel that the neighbor wasn't infringing on your right to a sane (aka: quiet) lifestyle? Libertarian ways allow you to whack his peepee for it, which is only fair.
-- Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David M. Burns
On 5/3/2012 3:30 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Limits, limits ... one cicada won't deafen you; a summer cast of thousands will make you take out the ear plugs.

Whoa there, country boy ... how far to the closet Wal-Mart?

In college I had a totally deaf neighbor call the police on my basset hound because of the way he was looking up in the tree in the back yard ... she just knew he had to be barking.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

You had a basset hound? *Now* I know why you support people having chickens. You don't care about *anyone* else.
:)
On 5/3/2012 6:51 PM, Dave wrote:

??
Yep, love to see friends and neighbors having hens. There is nothing like fresh eggs that didn't come from chickens full of drugs.
The way things are going with the food supply in this country, you may soon be wishing for something homegrown to eat:
http://www.naturalnews.com/035745_GMO_rice_human_genes_Kansas.html
And while you snooze, the fox buys the henhouse:
http://www.naturalnews.com/035688_Monsanto_honey_bees_colony_collapse.html
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Maybe so, but my admittedly critical view of people is that if they can get away with something, they will attempt to do so. Safety, health or just plain cleanliness, however you want to label it, is something that needs to be mandated and enforced. There's just too many people who refuse to or can't be bothered to follow regulations.
Yup, I understand you're all about freedoms and liberty, one of the foundations that the US (and North American society) is founded on. Ideally, I support that viewpoint, but I also acknowledge that it *is* an ideal viewpoint and not as directly applicable to our society at large as you make it sound.
On 5/3/2012 7:53 PM, Dave wrote:

There are no "but"s, Dave. My condolences, it must be tough to live life akin to a crowded rat, not from any sense of reason, but from an inability to look past the fray and find a sense of joy in things around you.
Pity ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Kind of an insulting comment Karl, but you're partially right. I certainly have a cynical view of many things and I know it. It's not from an inability to look past things, but from a sense of experience. But (and it's my but to use not yours to dismiss) I do find enjoyment in a number of things.
One of those things is the woodworking I do. It's limited in the fact that I do it on a work bench in my living room. I'm unable to find an accessible location near my home that I can share or rent to set up a better workshop. That's the fly in the ointment since I've been looking for some place for well over fifteen years.
I mention this on occasion mainly to remind people that I am looking for some place should they happen to know of one. And, the fact that I'm always looking demonstrates that I am able to look past the fray for something better.
On 5/4/2012 2:19 AM, Dave wrote:

You mean like this (smiley or no):
On 5/3/2012 6:51 PM, Dave wrote: > You had a basset hound?*Now* I know why you support people having > chickens. You don't care about*anyone* else.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 5/4/2012 9:23 AM, Swingman wrote:

I probably wouldn't have said it like that, but I understand where Dave is coming from. Twice I've lived next to people in residential neighborhoods that had Basset Hounds, and I'm convinced those dogs just aren't happy in that type of environment. I almost lost my damned MIND with all the racket those dogs made, and the owners NEVER had any consideration for how their continuous barking affected their neighbors. Some breeds of dogs (and some breeds of humans) just weren't meant to live in a suburban setting.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 5/4/2012 3:35 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Like pit bulls don't all kill babies, Bassets aren't all nuisance barkers. I've raised two Bassets and neither one of them had a barking problem.
I'm not denying the propensity of certain breeds, but that is totally irrelevant to the discussion at hand, except to say that running such rabbit trails was something that particular Basset was damned good at. :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 5/4/12 6:57 PM, Swingman wrote:

Dogs are only as good as their masters. If they are trained properly when pups and properly cared for as adults, they will behave. Unfortunately, as with kids, most a-holes raise a-holes. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Actually, I've never known anyone that had a basset hound. It was (apparently to you) a poor attempt at humour which *should* have been accepted as such because of the smiley two lines down.
You commented once before when I mistook one of your attempts at humour as being serious. I suggest this time you go have a look in the mirror.

The word "but" negates the assertion that precedes it.
On 5/4/2012 1:23 PM, Dave Bslderstone wrote:

Precisely why I said "no buts".
When did you change your name?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

When I installed Newstap on my iPhone a few days ago...