Shop Cabinet Door

Page 3 of 5
On 4/29/2012 6:06 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Not saying that this is not doable, but in the sum total of my experience with cabinets and doors (particularly if a consistent finished edge on both components, with a consistent inset gap is desirable) it is a helluva lot more efficient, in materials and time, to build face frames and fit the doors, than it is to do cutout doors in a front panel with a jig saw in an attempt to save time and effort applying hinges. :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/29/12 7:57 PM, Swingman wrote:

Well, duh. But we were talking about it, so hey. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Chicken coops? That's a little bit out of your field aren't they? Maybe they're just an agreed to project to keep on the good side of customers?
On 4/28/2012 9:52 PM, Dave wrote:

I think he builds them for a strength building exercise. Like lifting a house.

I don't think Dave understands that those little things go for between $600 and $900 apiece. There's a decent profit in them, thanks to the Yuppies.
-- You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.' -- Charles A. Budreau

Different locale, different perspectives I guess. A couple of months back there was a drive by a group wanting legalize chicken raising in the Toronto area. It was shot down in a pile of feathers. http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/25/no-legal-backyard-chickens-for-toronto-anytime-soon-as-committe-defers-study /
On 4/29/2012 6:27 PM, Dave wrote:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/25/no-legal-backyard-chickens-for-toronto-anytime-soon-as-committe-defers-study / "Let them grow tomatoes.", eh?
The pious and unmitigated arrogance manifested in the quotes from those two committee MF's is reprehensible to the max.
The folks in Austin are largely progressives, but apparently with a lot less tolerance to allowing busybodies to rule their lives.
Thought I would never say this, but you just made me a lot prouder of our touchy, feely progressives here in Texas ... bless their little pea picking liberal hearts.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Actually, I support the ban against chicken raising, but for a different reason. My first reason is personal.
Because of an infestation of pigeons on all balconies in my apartment building, I've developed a hatred for birds of all types. The damn birds made the balconies literally unusable. About ten years ago, the building management netted the balconies to fix the bird problem, but that didn't alleviate my hatred much.
My second reason is practical. I don't know about population attitudes in Texas, but too many people are irresponsible here as far as I'm concerned. Assuming chicken raising was permitted, I'd expect loose chickens and other sorts of farm animals to be scavenging on the streets within a few years. People would flock to chicken raising with makeshift, ineffective cages and then dump the chickens on the street when they decided they were tired with it.
No thanks. Cities are not suitable habitats for farm animals of any type.
On 4/29/2012 8:08 PM, Dave wrote:

Appreciate your feelings, and support your rights to have, hold and express them, just do us all down here a favor and PLEASE don't move to Texas! ;)
And may times never get so troubled as to cause you to rue your words ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

That might be a problem. I *was* thinking how nice it would be to move down to Texas, midway between you and Leon's place.
You could build my house, Leon could build the interior cabinetry. And, I could ambush the two of you for some tool every morning the two of you meet to exchange borrowed tools.
:)
On 4/29/2012 8:29 PM, Dave wrote:

LOL ... sounds like a good plan to me! :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Unfortunately, my health problems force me to stay within easy reach of a large metropolitan hospital. If I was healthier, I might well be living in or near some rural community and I'd like it. But, it's just not to be.
On 4/29/2012 8:33 PM, Dave wrote:

That's not uncommon happenstance among an aging population down here (not to infer you're remotely in that category). Most of my acquaintances are realizing that their plans to retire into a country life would most likely be short lived for health reasons, and have therefore decided to stay put to be close to medical facilities ... an unanticipated side effect, along with the economy, has been a marked increase in remodeling existing homes for that very eventuality.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Worrying about it? No, I have more important things to worry about. I just happen to be opinionated about certain topics on occasion.
"Because of an infestation of pigeons on all balconies in my apartment building, I've developed a hatred for birds of all types. The damn birds made the balconies literally unusable. **************************************************** I have the solution for you. We had a big problem with pigeons at my church. We got a small mechanical bird, that has a body with a motor in it that hooks to two wooden "wings." About every 15 seconds, the motor turns on and rotates the wings for 4 or 5 seconds, and it continues 24/7. I can't believe how well it works. I have seen _NO_ birds up on the dome, since it was put up there.
-- Jim in NC
On 4/29/2012 7:41 PM, Swingman wrote:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/georgetown-makes-it-easier-for-residents-to-raise-2325410.html?cxtype=rss_ece_frontpage
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I have to question how long it will last. Roosters crowing at sunrise waking up everyone within earshot. Escaped hens roaming the streets, feathers blowing everywhere. Bird poop is usually toxic so there may be repercussions there.
Nope, I think it's a bad idea, at least in an urban environment.
On 5/2/2012 7:06 PM, Dave wrote:

You missed the operative word ... "hens". Roosters are never allowed in urban settings.
Hens "cluck" softly, they don't "crow", ND they don't roam as a rule because they must be vigorously protected, by escape proof measures, 24/7, measures which keep the the real urban varmits, the feral cats, coons, possums and hawks OUT, and the "hens" IN ... otherwise the allowed eight hens won't last a single night.
Those pigeons really got to you, eh?
You've fallen into the same trap/mindset you accused Marlow of the other night with regard to the FOG forum ... IOW, you have no real understanding of the issues and reality of the situations.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Hens cluck softly unless disturbed, when they let out some pretty loud noises. Roosters are 100x worse, but hens are damned loud and I wouldn't want any next door to me. Cats, dogs, raccoons, snakes, and stray people can all make chickens go apeshit, from my experience. Come out the back door and let the screen door slam and you have chickens heading for the trees. (not that they get there, with the pinioned wings and all...)
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama
On 5/2/2012 9:51 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I can't say that the noise of any hen or rooster for that matter is any worse than a barking dog. Yes I have been around both and you simply get used to the noise.