shop cabinet

I'm nearing completion on a rolling shop cabinet that will provide storage and also keep my planer off the ground. It's built in basically the same fashion that a kitchen cabinet would be built to give me some practice with face frame cabinetry. Honestly, I felt that building the carcases/carcasses was pretty straightforward (thanks John Paquay). Now, getting the drawers installed on one side was a different story. I finally came up with a system that worked pretty well keeping the slides parallel to the sides and perpendicular to the face. Now that that's all done, I'm getting ready to put a top on it. I made the mistake of showing it to SWMBO, and she wants me to paint it. I told her that I don't tell her how to do her scrapbooking, so she could just keep her ideas to herself. So, other than aesthetics, is there a compelling reason to finish these cabinets in any way? The face frames are poplar and the rest of the cabinet is 1/2" meranti plywood.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

her ideas to herself. So, other than

Bing able to move from the couch back to the bedroom might be compelling.

Stuart Johnson Red Oak, Texas

Reply to
Stuart Johnson

Aside from marital harmony, dirt and pride. A coat of anything is going to help them stay cleaner looking and be easier to clean. Could be paint, poly, shellac, etc.

I also like anything I make to look good. After all, people will judge by appearances. Even templates that I make get a coat of something on them. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Re-read your posts: SWMBO has a reason for that name. Personally I like wood, clear, poly, shellac, whatever. So paint the ply and keep the natural on your poplar

== A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

Reply to
Len

I'd put SOMETHING on it...depending on the look you want. Painting is usually the easiest.

You didn't say how big it is, but...

You can usually buy sink cut outs for a buck or two. Make good tops.

Good luck.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

I've decided to go ahead and paint it...but not because SWMBO told me to!!!! ;-) For the top, I'm recycling an old laminate desk top that I had, which works great. I used an identical piece to fashion a router table top. I recycled other parts of that desk as shelves for inside the cabinet.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree