Shop Built Drum Sander Mk2 (slightly spammy)

Page 2 of 2

Trying to generate 3-1/2" slugs using a hole saw and a drill press will at best a slow job, not only the cutting, but especially when it comes to getting the slug out of the hole saw.
Think I'd consider a BIG table mounted router /w/ a BIG straight bit, and a clamping jig that will allow moving the jig /w/ the piece into the cutter, then rotating to finish cut the blank.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Or make one with the hole saw, and the rest on the router with a pattern bit.
(deja vu)
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote:

A production job in MDF?
A pattern bit?
Much faster and lower cost to use a standard carbide end mill.
Lew

Well, if I were doing it I'd still go with the band saw. Cut a bunch of 4" squares, drill the 5/8" holes in the center. Stack 4-5 at a time on a dowel for the cutting. No need to use a circle cutting jig, it doesn't have to be that accurate.
-Kevin

Your production requirements would appear to be at best only modest and as you indicate, accuracy is not a high priority.
Lew
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 23:27:53 +0100, Lew Hodgett wrote

or maybe knock up a simple router lathe, running a router along an mdf track with a "log" turned by hand between centres below it.. \ no, hang that.. you're right. Do it on a router table with a free-moving jig - a frame with two end-screws supporting yer log/composite, turn it and slide it along the drum axis, over the bit. Turn a bit more and make another pass... then raise the bit a tad and repeat. Tedious but maybe bearable for a one-off. Like a 3d version of cutting circles with a table saw jig.
OR use drain pipe with two routed end cheeks, an end-to-end slot with an internal backing piece to take your wedgie
stack of mis-burned CDRs ?
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 22:27:53 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Fly cutter
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
"Tim Douglass" wrote:

Still a slow process.
OK For one offs, but not production.
Lew

I don't think so. It really only takes a few minutes to true it, and not only do you get it rounded but you also get it parallel to the table at the same time. In practice it doesn't stay *perfectly* parallel once you move it up and down a few times, but what's a few thou between friends. The difficult part is the groove, installing the threaded inserts, and making the wedges.
-Kevin
: snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote: :> But basically, it's just a bunch :> of MDF circles. I had 100 of them CNC'd, but you can just band saw :> them as they don't need to be accurate. :> -Kevin
: Would it be easier for someone with a good lathe to make one?
I think you'd need a metalworking lathe. It's actually quite hard to turn a perfect cyclinder freehand on a wood lathe -- you ca get close, but I end up taping sandpaper to a flat surface and using that for the final truing.
    -- Andy Barss
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:27:16 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote (in article

Ta. I missed the links, sorry. I assumed you'd lathed them somehow.
The "no need to be accurate" but is interesting. Hadn't thought about the centrifugal self-limiting idea but it obviously bears closer scrutiny. I've seen the sand_flee video and that makes great capital of the ultra accurate machining that it employs so impressively.
Hmmm.. More than one slot and make it a big flap wheel? It'd use smaller sheets
Plenty of info now. I should be able to sit on the porch and whittle one up from an old log :-)
snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote:

I liked "Version I" pretty well - and I like this one even better.
Kosher spam :-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar