Shop Built Drum Sander

Writeup with pictures on my site:

it with the vac hooked up for the first time and was very pleased, it picked up 99% of the dust. The key to that I think is getting the shroud close to the drum. The widest piece I've put through so far was about 7", so I'm not sure yet how it will handle the full 14". 7" was no different than 2" though, as long as you don't take too much of a bite.

We'll see how it holds up...

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

How many hours did it take to make?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I can run 22" through mine with no problem. Like you said, it depends on how much you take off.

Here's mine, FWIW, that I built about 18 months ago

way to do the paper, but you might want to check into converting it to velcro backed. If you do this you can make sure the drum is parallel to the table by putting the sand paper on a board, and run it through sand paper UP, in effect sanding the drum as it turns. It will be perfectly parallel to the table in the end.

Reply to
Larry Bud

It went together over a period of two weeks, but I was building it as parts were coming in and figuring things out as I went along. If you don't get fancy with the frame there isn't really that much to it. I was a bit nervous messing around with bearings as I really didn't know anything about that, but don't let that deter you.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

You've got twice as much hp as I do, but yeah. For the type of stuff I mainly do I've just got more width to not have to change the paper as often, or run multiple grits at once. Though I tried putting 150 on it and still had to go over it with 100 on the ROS to get out all the scratches, so I don't know if I'll bother doing that.

problems with the table rocking? Mine was pretty bad until I added the locking knob on the side, but you doubled up your table. I see that same design everywhere so I don't know if it's just me or what.

You made yours stationary which I highly recommend for two reasons. First it's just a darn useful thing, mine's only been operational a short while but when it's not on the bench I keep finding myself wishing I could run one little board through for something. And second that sucker is heavy. I was aiming for 50 lbs and really tried to keep things as light as possible it ended up about 60 lbs. Which is still in the realm of portable, but not real fun, especially with it being an awkward size.

I saw the wedge clamping method on the Byrnes sander I link to on the page. I figured being able to use regular paper was great. It's a bit of a pain messing with the screws, but then I don't have to spiral wrap the paper so I figure it's a wash. Bit of a learning curve to it, had it come loose at one end once and scratch the hell out of the lexan. Had a screw on the opposite side that was under the paper that I failed to tighten all the way come loose and put a big line down a board. But I think I have the hang of it now. I figured worst case scenario I fill in the grooves and spiral wrap over it.

Yep, second to last picture shows this in progress.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Wed, Nov 1, 2006, 11:20pm snipped-for-privacy@dontemailme.com (Leuf) doeth sayeth: Writeup with pictures on my site:

My first thought was how did y ou measure to know it got 99% of the dust?

Then checked your site. The pictures look good. But when it came to reading the text, with the white letters, and that background, I didn't even try.

JOAT If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.

Reply to
J T

I measured the amount of time I spent cleaning up after, which was zero. I figure nothing is perfect though. If I say 99.3 or something then you can give me a hard time.

Yeah, black (almost) and white is a real strange combination... unless your browser is doing something weird. There's a background at the top that fades out, the only text over which should be the title.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Thu, Nov 2, 2006, 9:49pm snipped-for-privacy@dontemailme.com (Leuf) doth sayeth: There's a background at the top that fades out, the only text over which should be the title.

For me anyway the background kept repeating - all the way down.

JOAT If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.

Reply to
J T

Weird, webtv supposedly supports the no-repeat atrribute, but I have no way of testing for webtv. Try it again should look right for you now. I'll have to go through the rest of the site later, thanks for the heads up.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Thu, Nov 2, 2006, 10:57pm snipped-for-privacy@dontemailme.com (Leuf) did nicely do: Weird, webtv supposedly supports the no-repeat atrribute, but I have no way of testing for webtv. Try it again should look right for you now. I'll have to go through the rest of the site later, thanks for the heads up.

Whatever you did you dood it right. Site looks finenow - and easy to read. I like the sander, you done good. Doubt I'll ever make one, but I've saved the link to go over in more detail later anyway. Thanks.