Shop Apron

Page 3 of 3
Ahh, that's not router table, that's just a cabinet that I use to store finishing supplies and the blue thing is a filter covering a 1/4hp explosion proof fan.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com
βœ–
Jeff P. wrote:

Thanks for the visual...
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wow, pretty pricey. I know some carvers like leather (for the protection), but I'm not sure why leather would be desirable for the rest of us.
Here's the one I use, and I love it. http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/83490.asp
Add pictures here
βœ–
It was somewhere outside Barstow when Nate Perkins
Heavy and soft, so it drapes well. A "flappy" apron is a horrible thing.
A very cheap leather apron is a welder's apron in pale grey chrome leather (jackets too). They're hideous leather, but they are very cheap.
My "good" apron is £20 ($40) of lovely soft suede bought at a re-enactor fair and an evening's work on trimming it with pockets and strings. Shame to wear it in the workshop really, but it's a great "shopkeeper" apron on craft stalls.
--
Smert' spamionam

Add pictures here
βœ–
Never Enough Money wrote:

It is leather, and it does say "Lie Nielsen" on it. <G>
Seriously, I use a Bucket Boss apron that collects enough dust and shavings in the pockets to fill a guinea pig cage. The upside is that I almost like the pocket layout, and I can toss it in the washer. I've also used a Duluth "fire hose" apron, which I found too hot, restrictive, and heavy.
To me, the LN apron looks hot to wear, but it looks like it would work OK.
The perfect shop apron for me is not yet out there!
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:12:06 -0800, Never Enough Money wrote:

Status symbol, feh. If you aren't wearing this apron, you aren't wearing the right apron: http://owwm.com/Gear/Aprons.asp . Now *that's* a status symbol.
And to further shill for OWWM, go through owwm.com when ordering from Amazon. It won't change the price that you pay, but they get a commission: http://owwm.com/Books/Specials.asp
--
Joe Wells

Add pictures here
βœ–
It was somewhere outside Barstow when Joe Wells
If you just want an apron as a status symbol, try this http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/masonic_apron_of_alf_t_ringling.htm
(Interesting little story actually)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andy Dingley wrote:

Hummm, got me dads old Rose Croix pinny locked away, it cost him £600 back in the 80s, he bought it just before they decided to wear the sash only due to the cost of the aprons (minimum £250 due to the amount of hand stitching), his was done with gold, rather than gold coloured thread....Always wanted the best me dad GRHS.
Niel.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Well, it's nice and all but it doesn't have a pocket for a shop pencil.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com
βœ–
If you are referring to the LN leather apron, they say it has an "inside" pocket.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:22:13 -0600, the inscrutable "Jeff P."
REAL masons jam it into their pec. ;)
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jeff P. wrote:

How'd you know, mine has a hidden pocket in the back for my polos....
Add pictures here
βœ–
Good replies and good alternatives, folks. Maybe I'll just continue to use my Carhart overalls for now.
http://usa.carhartt.com/products/loaders/finder.cgi?routine ήtail&id43&lite=yes&start=0&type=type&cat=r&lot
Add pictures here
βœ–
I thought about getting some overalls for woodworking. One of my daughters told me that I didn't have enough "cool points" built up to allow the wearing of overalls. She says I use up all my points wearing lycra shorts when I ride my bicycle.
Dick Durbin
Add pictures here
βœ–

Leather aprons can be a man's best friend...not to mention Jim & Twins' best friend as well. I had a pilot tip come off a single flute plunge routerbit once...it didn't hit me, but it left a nice dented mark on a metal tool box. I did walk kinda crosslegged the rest of day thinking of what could have happened. Now, when I use one of these http://tinyurl.com/3wh3c big router bits, I can only shudder to think what could happen if I did NOT wear a leather apron. I bought mine at a woodshow..around 40 dollars IIRC. Pretty cheap peace of mind. I'd buy a kevlar version if such thing was to be had for a reasonable amount of money.
0Ώ0
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–

10 is about twice what I'd be willing to spend on a shop apron. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberC636 ~
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
βœ–
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:10:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote:

Like a Squirrel, I think I'd prefer to protect my nuts...
Add pictures here
βœ–

You can get leather aprons for one third to half amount. Check out Lee Valley or other similar retailers. If you can find a welding supplies store locally they'll probably carry them too.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I bought my denim/cotton apron at Anderson's general store in Lima, Ohio. Nice store...you can buy work clothes, grass seed, snowthrowers, tools, hardware and even alcoholic beverages. SWMBO's brother runs a cabinet shop. He uses a leather apron. My bet is he didn't buy it from LN at $85. I like mine, but I only use about half the time anyway. Cheers. Joe
Never Enough Money wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Some of you guys might want to check this out...
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 7-183&LARGEVIEW=ON
This shows a nice looking leather shop apron with flaps over the pockets for about $50.
Happy Woodworking! Joe
Add pictures here
βœ–