Shop Apron

Page 1 of 3
There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.
So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Being leather it would put up with a fair amount of abrasion compared to the typical cotton apron... and gain character with use!
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Leather is better for a shop apron -- but that much better?
--RC

Well, I guess you could put it in perspective by comparing a Stanley No 4 to an L-N No 4... yeah my tuned up Stanley No 4 (read cotton apron) works pretty well but my L-N No 4 (read leather apron) is noticeably nicer to use. ;-)
John
Did someone say leather apron? Here's mine, I challenge you to beat the price!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberE193
It was somewhere outside Barstow when snipped-for-privacy@johnsonwindowfilms.com wrote:

Split leather though - tends to catch on things, because the surface is so fibrous.

NO. You can get a leather apron at Grizzly.com for $37.95.
This one never posted last month for some reason.
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:03:37 GMT, the inscrutable Rick Cook

This one is no status symbol, but it works just great and is a damn sight cheaper. I'm happy with my 91% cheaper HF apron. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberE193 Avoid their fire-retardant canvas apron, though. I pulled one out of its bag last week and nearly went into respiratory arrest from the really HEAVY chemical smell. Whew!
At $85, you're likely paying for "gilded" LN logo stitching, a bit better quality leather, and probably a more comfy apron with the cross-hung style. But at 10x the price? Pass. (Though it is purty.)
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:02:05 GMT, "John Grossbohlin"

Agreed. But my $25 leather apron from Woodworker's Supply seems to fit the bill without the cache associated with a Lie Nielson status symbol
<http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUMB028
You want flaps, they'll cost $25 more: <http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 7-183>
Speaking of Lie-Nielsen cache, the LN apron has "Lie-Nileson" embossed on the chest. I don't care who you are, you must admit that's cool.
Actually, I expect companies to PAY ME for doing their advertising. I don't wear ballcaps with tool maker's names/logos on them, don't wear shirts wtih advertising on them either. They want ME to wear THEIR advertising, then at least they can GIVE the shirt/hat/whatever to me for FREE
John
On 28 Feb 2005 18:46:29 -0800, "Never Enough Money"

Guess you never had a Lie-Nielsen plane.
-Dan V.

"Dan Valleskey" <valleskey at comcast dot net> wrote in message

I've had a lot of quality tools, bought from quality companies, but I still won't buy and pay for anything with there logo. I have probably a dozen shirts with corporate logos on them. Every one was FREE. Yes, I'll wear them. I'll even wear one that says "Dan Valleskey for Mayor" if you give it to me for FREE.
This reminds me of the people who drive around for years with the dealer's license plate holders on their car. The first thing I do is get rid of those.

As a car dealer, I like the dealer licenses plate frames. We appreaciate all those that continue to wear our name proudly.
Dave
Of course you do. If you pay me to do so, I'll display your frame.

dealer's

I'm sure you do. Never had a car, new or used, that kept the dealer name for more than an hour after I got it home. Last three the dealer did not bother putting his name on them. Years ago, we'd removed even the car maker's ornaments to clean up a car.
We had a dealer in town that had the most awful looking oversized sticker on his cars. I was ready to buy and told him we had a deal. Just remove the sticker. He refused. I walked. Evidently others did too as he folded in less than a year. Ed
TeamCasa wrote:

At least I can take them off without a heat gun. <G>
Barry
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:53:39 -0600, the inscrutable John

Agreed, wholeheartedly. Then again, we're not caught up in the status symbol frenzy of.
Now where in HELL can I buy a nice, discreet Casio watch with NO bold and colorful printing smeared all over it? I like Casio's countdown timers and alarms far better than Timex.
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

I like casio too, last one lasted over 25 years, including a trip through a roof and a fall of 18 feet, with me attached, into hard-core with little more than a scratch on the glass and a dent in the rim (I was knocked out, broke my sturnum, and the damage to my left knee still causes problems, the inch thick 8x4 sheet of ply that followed me through missed!). My Christmas present Timex lasted 7 weeks before the winder (adjuster) spindle broke....