Shooting board question

I admit it, I'm much more normite than neander...
Anyway, I don't have a shooting board but can see where it would be useful from time to time. But one thing I've never understood just by reading about them: why doesn't the plane blade chew into the raised platform that supports the workpiece? Or is it that it will cut the platform, but only a tiny bit until the edge of the plane sole where the blade doesn't extend hits?
I hope the question is clear.
Thanks,
Paul Franklin

The iron will cut the edge of the shooting board but only until the edge of the plane sole hits the shooting board... obviously a rabbet plane will not work for this purpose. ;~)
John

It does. But it would take you forever to eat up the baseboard, by which time you just make a new one.